Professor of Psychology
Office: Chaminade Tower, Room 341
Ph.D., University of North Texas
Dr. Owen teaches a wide variety of psychology courses at St. Mary’s. She is the former Chair of the Psychology Department, is a well published author and has received many distinctions for her research.
- Abnormal Psychology
- Behavior Management
- Developmental Psychology
- Human Sexuality
- Introductory Psychology
- Physiological Psychology
- Psychopathology in Cinema
- Body image
- Children’s fears
- Cross-cultural issues in body image
- Media effects on knowledge about psychopathology
- Student/Teacher boundary issues
- Owen, P.R. (2012) Portrayals of Schizophrenia by Entertainment Media: A Content Analysis of Contemporary Movies. Psychiatric Services.
- Owen, P.R. & Zwahr-Castro, S. (2007). Boundary Issues in Academia; Student Perceptions of Faculty-Student Boundary Crossings. Ethics and Behavior, 17(2), 117-129.
- Owen, P.R. (2007). Dispelling Myths about Schizophrenia using Film. Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
- Owen, P.R. (2005). Video-assisted instruction in teaching about schizophrenia: Symposium. American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Washington, D.C.
- Owen, P.R. (2003). Using multimedia as an instructional tool in psychology courses: Symposium .American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Toronto, Canada.
- Owen, P.R. (2001). Computer distorting technology – Defining body ideals and assessing media’s impact: Symposium (Chair). American Psychological Association Annual Convention; San Francisco, CA.
- Owen, P.R., & Laurel-Seller, E. (2000). Weight and shape ideals: Thin is dangerously in. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 30, 979-990.
- Owen, P.R. (1994). Op. Ed. Teaching the drive by generation. In Miami Herald and Chicago Tribune.
- Owen, P.R. (1998). Fears of hispanic and anglo children: Real world fears in the 1990′s. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 20, 483-491.
- Owen, P.R. (1990). Nondistressed Transvestites: A comparison of nuclear and marginal cross dressers. Society for Scientific Study of Sex. Minneapolis, MN.
- Owen, P.R. (1988). Violence in children’s media: Symposium. American Psychological Association Annual Convention; Atlanta, GA.
- Owen, P.R. (1987). Media issues – Position Paper. United Nation’s Sponsored University of Peace; San Jose, Costa Rica.