- Minor https://www.stmarytx.edu/academics/programs/mexican-american-studies/ https://www.stmarytx.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/theology-student-classroom.jpg
- Undergraduate Certificate https://www.stmarytx.edu/academics/programs/mexican-american-studies/ https://www.stmarytx.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/theology-student-classroom.jpg
The MAS minor and certificate bridges disciplines to build interdisciplinary knowledge and expertise to answer questions and achieve insights about complex problems that individual disciplines alone cannot solve. Ultimately, MAS is a field of inquiry that requires informed educated citizens capable of applying a range of critical and creative thinking to community and public policy issues and applied communication and analysis.
The minor in Mexican American Studies is an 18 credit hour program. Students choose five courses from a list of required core options. They also choose an additional course as an independent study or internship.
The undergraduate certificate in Mexican American Studies is a 15 credit hour program. Students choose three courses from a list of required core options, plus one research-oriented course and an independent study.
Students choose courses from the following disciplines: political science, history, Chicano literature, language, economics, and theology.
- U.S. Civil Rights: The Latino Experience
- U. S. Immigration and Ethnic History
- Theology in the Southwest
The Mexican American Studies courses build knowledge and research skills of Mexican Americans—their politics, histories, communities and customs and behaviors. It prepares students to be culturally-informed and relevant in careers in education, economic and community development, community leadership, elective office, law school and graduate education.
In the News
“[Belinda Roman, Ph.D.] said the certification in Mexican-American Studies is useful in professional development, especially with the increased emphasis on diversity, equity and inclusion in the business world.”
In October 2022, KSAT News spotlighted the Mexican American Studies program at St. Mary’s University. Read the full story to hear what faculty and students about their experience with the new certificate.