School of Humanities and Social Sciences
HSS is the cornerstone of St. Mary's liberal arts and Marianist education. With more than 20 disciplines to choose from, this is the largest school on campus.
Criminology major in San Antonio
The Criminology program at St. Mary’s University integrates liberal studies with professional preparation. Anyone interested in pursing a career in the research or evaluation of crime control and crime prevention programs should consider majoring in Criminology.
Criminal justice professionals and criminologists have assumed a central role in researching, formulating, implementing and evaluating public policy designed to control crime. Crime transcends all geographical, social and economic boundaries, affecting all countries and demographic strata.
What is criminology?
Criminology is the study of the causes, prevention and treatment of criminal behavior, and the social and environmental factors that are associated with crime in society.
Criminology explores the relationship between the field of criminology, criminal justice organizations, and social service agencies whose responsibility it is to control crime and protect society. Students are introduced to the roles of the offender, victim and society in exploring the reasons why criminal behavior occurs.
Controlling crime requires knowledge of individual and social factors that lead to criminal behavior, along with strategies and practices to control crime.
Criminology degree plans
Students can pursue one of the following program options:
Bachelor of Arts in Criminology Requirements and Degree Plan
Bachelor or Arts in Criminology with Nelson Wolff Law Early Admission Program Requirements and Degree Plan
Minor in Criminology Requirements and Plan
Law school options
- The Pre-law Program increases your chance of gaining admission to law school.
- The Nelson Wolff Law Early Admission Program helps motivated students graduate in less time. This program is available to students in the following majors: Criminology, English, International and Global Studies, Philosophy, Political Science, Sociology and Communication Studies.
- The Guaranteed Law School Admission Program guarantees St. Mary’s graduates admission to the School of Law, if they meet certain criteria.
For more information about any of these law-related programs, please see the School of Law Admission section.
Our students have earned criminology internships at:
- Office of the Attorney General of Texas
- San Antonio Police Department
- Texas Department of Human Services
- National Park Service
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Fire Marshall
Graduates have gained employment as:
- Police officer
- Forensic science technician
- Loss prevention specialist
- Criminal profiler
- Expert witness
- Private investigator
- Insurance fraud investigator
- Security specialist