- Bachelor of Arts https://www.stmarytx.edu/academics/programs/criminal-justice/ https://www.stmarytx.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/crime-scene-tape.jpg
- Minor https://www.stmarytx.edu/academics/programs/criminal-justice/ https://www.stmarytx.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/crime-scene-tape.jpg
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ACT or SAT test is optional for prospective students applying for Fall 2020 to join the St. Mary’s University freshmen class of 2024.
The Criminal Justice program at St. Mary’s University focuses on the integration of liberal studies with the professional preparation of the student.
Criminal justice professionals and criminologists have assumed a central role in researching, formulating, implementing and evaluating public policy designed to control crime.
Crime transcends all geographical, social and economic boundaries, affecting all countries and demographic strata.
Controlling crime requires knowledge of individual and social factors that lead to criminal behavior, and strategies and practices to control crime.
Criminal justice is the study of the administration, organization, goals, processes, practices, roles, philosophies and histories of organizations created to prevent and control crime and delinquency.
Students have numerous core major courses, as well as room for electives.
Course highlights include:
- Criminal Justice Administration
- Substantive Criminal Law
- Ethics in Criminal Justice
- Legal Topics in Criminal Justice
A degree in Criminal Justice can lead to many potential jobs. Our graduates have gone on to a variety of careers, including:
- Police officer
- Corrections officer
- Forensic science technician
- Loss prevention specialist
- Criminal profiler
- Jury consultant
- Expert witness
- Private investigator
- Insurance fraud investigator
- Security specialist
Internships allow our students to gain hands-on experience in the field they are pursuing. Many of our students have earned internships at places such as:
- Office of the Attorney General of Texas
- San Antonio Police Department
- Texas Department of Human Services
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
- National Park Service
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Fire Marshall
- Emergency Management