Students who have complaints about the policies, procedures and deadlines of an administrative area of St. Mary’s University, or the personal treatment they have received from an administrative area of the University, should contact the appropriate office.

Issues and complaints that cannot be addressed through established University channels should be resolved, if possible, between involved parties. In other situations, students are encouraged to submit complaints to the senior administrator of the department or office.

Students may use any of the following options to report an act of sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, stalking; discrimination or harassment to the University:

  1. Call or email the Title IX Coordinator at 210-436-3725 or
  2. File in person with a Title IX Coordinator or any Deputy Coordinator:
  3. Fill out the form available at
  4. Contact the University Police Department
    • Emergency assistance
      • From an on-campus telephone, dial extension 1911
      • From an off-campus telephone, dial 210-431-1911
    • Non-Emergency assistance
      • From an on-campus telephone, dial extension 3330
      • From an off-campus telephone, dial 210-436-3330
Reporting Sexual Assault, Dating or Domestic Violence, Stalking, Discrimination or Harassment

The dean of the appropriate school (e.g. the dean of the School of Law) is currently the person(s) designated by the president and academic vice president to administer the academic code for all educational activities provided by their respective colleges. For more information on the university’s process for responding to issues of student academic misconduct, please contact the college deans’ office or review the university’s Academic Misconduct Policy.

Academic Integrity and Academic Dishonesty

A grievance is defined as dissatisfaction occurring when a student believes that any decision, act, or omission by a University employee, acting in an official capacity affecting the same student, is illegal or arbitrary, and creates unnecessary hardship. Such grievances may concern, but are not limited to, the following: academic problems; mistreatment by any university employee; wrongful assessment of fees; records and registration errors; and concerns related to student employment. If a student needs assistance regarding the initiation or presentation of a grievance, he or she may review the Student Grievance Policy and contact the following St. Mary’s University staff for assistance:

Student Grievance

In line with our Core Values and the Marianist Catholic charism, hazing is an act that goes against the ideas of community and family spirit on the St. Mary’s University campus. Not only is this against the law, but the very act and its outcomes are detrimental to the type of leaders the institution strives to mold and develop.  The following areas can receive and respond to reported acts of hazing in our community:

  • Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life
    Paul Mendez, Coordinator of Student Life
  • University Athletics
    Marlon Furlongue, Associate Director, Internal Operations and Compliance
  • Dean of Students
    Tim Bessler, Ed.D. Vice Provost and Dean of Students
  • University Police Department

Students who wish to report an inappropriate action by a fellow student or express a concern about another member of the University student community are encouraged to email the Dean of Students Office or call 210-436-3331.

The Dean of Students is part of the Student Life team, which consists of multiple offices working together on a comprehensive array of programs, services, activities and events that facilitate a student’s pursuit of academic achievement and personal growth.

Inappropriate Action or Well-Being of a Student

Students are encouraged to email the Office of Human Resources or call the office at 210-436-3725 to report any unsafe working conditions or workplace ethics violations they observe within the university community.

The University will not retaliate against a student or employee who in good faith has filed such a complaint, bringing the alleged unlawful policy, practice, or activity to the attention of the University. Any complaint or report of an alleged violation of the University’s Equal Opportunity, Nondiscrimination, Sexual and Other Forms of Harassment Policy shall be handled in accordance with the Equity Discrimination Resolution Process.

Unsafe Workplace Conditions or Ethical Violations

The University Ombudsman is a resource for St. Mary’s faculty, staff, students and alumni, offering them a safe haven through which they may be empowered to address conflict constructively. The Ombudsman facilitates conversations and mediation to nurture the community.  For more information on this conflict resolution resource, please contact the University’s ombudsman Robert (Bob) O’Connor, Ph.D., at or 210-436-3799.

All student complaints must first be addressed internally. If the internal resources have been exhausted and the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, then the student may file a complaint with the regulatory agency in the state where the student is receiving instruction and/or the institution’s accrediting agency.

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Office of the General Counsel
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, Texas 78711
For more information, review THECB Student Complaint information.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 3033
For more information, visit the SACS Commission on Colleges website.

The Commission on Colleges requests that they be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support an institution’s significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard.

University Ombudsman

How to Report a Laboratory Animal Use Concern or Inquiry

St Mary’s University acknowledges and accepts responsibility for the ethical care and use of live vertebrate animals. The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) oversees the laboratory animal use and welfare on campus. Our goal is that animals used for research or teaching purposes will be conducted in a humane, compassionate manner.

If you observe or learn of any activities that you believe are inappropriate (inhumane treatment or living conditions, neglect, unapproved procedures, etc), you may submit your complaint report through the online form or by emailing directly. To report the concern anonymously, use the online form below. Alternatively, you may contact the Institutional Official, Ian Martines, Ph.D., at 210-436-3480 or You may also contact the University’s Research Integrity Officer, Ayad Barsoum, Ph.D., at 210-436-3262 or

Questions or concerns regarding the animal protocol approval process, animal protection or compliance concerns and reporting may be directed to the IACUC Chair directly, Terry Shackleford, Ph.D., at 210-431-8005 or All communication will be handled confidentially if requested.

To ensure that laboratory animals receive appropriate care, the IACUC must review and address any animal-related concerns if warranted. The more specific information provided, the more effective the IACUC evaluation of the concern will be.

For a thorough investigation or to request additional information, minimal contact information would be helpful. If you would like to make an anonymous complaint, or to report online, please complete the Animal Care and Use Reporting Form below.

Laboratory Animal Use Concern or Inquiry
Back to top