- Minor https://www.stmarytx.edu/academics/programs/music/ https://www.stmarytx.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/instrumental-music-major.jpg
- Bachelor of Arts https://www.stmarytx.edu/academics/programs/music/ https://www.stmarytx.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/instrumental-music-major.jpg
- Teacher Certification https://www.stmarytx.edu/academics/programs/music/ https://www.stmarytx.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/instrumental-music-major.jpg
Students can choose from three options in Instrumental Music:
Coursework includes study on your instrument with our world-renowned faculty, as well as courses in music theory, music history, ear training, conducting, instrumental fundamentals courses and music education.
The music program is highly customized, tailored to each student’s unique talents and career goals. Please see the catalog for the most up-to-date course information and degree plans:
If you decide to pursue a teacher certification, there are many careers ahead of you in music education.
- Band or Orchestra Director: Directors lead music programs that change people’s lives through music and community involvement. Our graduates have unique abilities to design and implement successful instrumental music programs. Our majors are strong in the areas of teaching, conducting, performing, mentoring, fundraising, leading and motivating.
- Elementary Music Teacher: Guiding young students through their first experiences making music is one of the most rewarding occupations in the world. Elementary students are enthusiastic about learning about music and playing instruments. Our program prepares graduates to teach these musically thirsty classes in a way that changes their lives forever.
- University Music Professor: Professors have great opportunities to advance their specific fields through teaching, performance, research and collaboration. Students wanting to become higher education professors work with the best musicians in the world right here on campus. Our students are leading candidates for graduate school assistantships and funding around the United States.
- Private Instructor: Build a career offering private lessons to students young and old. With work on campus in the Department of Music and Greehey School of Business, St. Mary’s graduates are in high demand as private teachers for their high level of musicianship, teaching and strong capabilities in business and marketing.
- Accompanist: Pianists are always in demand to accompany professional ensembles, school ensembles and private rehearsals and performances. Accompanists can also perform in chamber music settings or solo recitals. Professionals can build a career full of vast opportunities in secular or sacred music.
- Arranger: Work with professional and school ensembles to arrange music for concerts and other events. Learn to arrange music for military ensembles, marching band shows, jazz orchestras, musical theatre and more.
- Arts Administrator: Arts administrators work with professional ensembles and organizations to organize events, market performances, contract personnel and handle financial issues.
- Audio Engineer: Learn modern audio recording and engineering techniques to put you in demand in the recording or live audio industry. Audio engineers are essential for recording, editing, mixing and mastering live performances and recorded albums.
- Composer: Learn to write music for band, orchestra, choir or theatre. Composers are in demand for concerts, movie music, video game soundtracks and marching band shows.
- Conductor: Lead ensembles through rehearsals and performances of modern and past musical styles. Coursework is designed to help aspiring conductors learn leadership skills along with high quality musicianship.
- Military Band Musician: Bands, orchestras and chamber ensembles provide music for many different areas of the military. With great salary and benefits, musicians pursuing a career in a military band have tremendous opportunities for performing, teaching and outreach.
- Soloist: Make a living touring different venues and performing solo recitals. Capture the imagination of audiences and allow them to experience the highest quality music with your instrument.
- Symphony Musician: Develop your musicianship to the highest level and audition for a professional symphony orchestra. Perform on your instrument all year round with other top professional musicians in an ensemble that enriches the community.
Music education can help spark a child’s imagination or ignite a lifetime of passion. When you provide a child with new worlds to explore and challenges to tackle, the possibilities are endless. Music education should not be a privilege for a lucky few, it should be a part of every child’s world of possibility. – Hillary Clinton