Music – Vocal Performance
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
HSS is the cornerstone of St. Mary's liberal arts and Marianist education. With more than 20 disciplines to choose from, this is the largest school on campus.
About the Vocal Music Program
Vocal Performance programs at St. Mary’s University focus on helping students achieve their highest level of musicianship as performers. Along with the music major and liberal arts coursework, Music – Vocal Performance majors focus on private study with St. Mary’s world-renowned vocal faulty members, as well as performances in the high-quality ensembles on campus. Voice students also focus on specific aspects of performance though work in the opera workshop, diction, conducting and vocal pedagogy courses.
All of the music programs at St. Mary’s University are highly customized, tailored to each student’s unique talents and career goals. Please see the catalog for the most up-to-date course information and degree plans:
- Bachelor of Arts in Music-Vocal Degree Plan
- Bachelor of Arts in Music-Vocal with Teacher Certification Degree Plan
- Minor in Music Requirements
Music, Vocal with Teacher Certification
Music education opens doors that help children pass from school into the world around them – a world of work, culture, intellectual activity and human involvement. The future of our nation depends on providing our children with a complete education that includes music. – President Gerald Ford
This music education program is devoted to helping students become outstanding musicians and inspiring educators.
Music education career opportunities
- Choir Director: High school and middle school choir directors lead music programs that change people’s lives through music and community involvement. Our music education graduates have unique abilities to design and implement successful vocal music programs.
- Private Instructor: Teach highly interested students of all ages how to hone their vocal skills. Parents, schools and individuals are always looking for private instructors of any voice type.
Music - Vocal Performance
The vocal performance music degree focuses on helping students achieve their highest level of musicianship as performers. In addition to liberal arts coursework, performance majors focus on private study with world-renowned faculty members as well as ensemble performances. Voice students train rigorously on specific aspects of performance through work in the opera workshop, diction, conducting and vocal pedagogy courses.
Vocal performance career opportunities
- Freelance Musician: Build a career performing with ensembles of many different varieties. Coursework is designed to advance students in becoming well-rounded musicians who are capable of performing at a high quality in many different genres.
- Soloist: Tour world-class venues performing solo recitals, showcasing your talents and specialized training. Spark the imagination of audiences and inspire them with your voice.
Vocal Music Ensembles
St. Mary’s University offers a wide variety of musical ensembles. Vocal ensembles include:
- Chapel Choir
- Concert Choir
- Opera Workshop
Vocal music majors may also audition to participate in our instrumental ensembles and Bands at St. Mary’s.
- Brass Ensemble
- Concert Band
- Flute Ensemble
- Guitar Ensemble
- Jazz Combo
- Jazz Orchestra
- Percussion Ensemble
- Rattler Band
- String Ensemble
- Woodwind Ensemble