School of Humanities and Social Sciences
HSS is the cornerstone of St. Mary's liberal arts and Marianist education. With more than 20 disciplines to choose from, this is the largest school on campus.
About the program
Through systematic study of diverse issues and methodology, majors develop disciplined thinking and problem-analysis skills. They are well prepared for graduate study as well as for careers in business and law professions.
The Philosophy minor introduces students to critical reflections through selected courses in the history of philosophy, logic and philosophical topics. The minor supports students majoring in related subjects where knowledge of philosophical methods is beneficial.
Philosophy majors often pursue a double major in a field of study that complements their interests, such as Business, Mathematics, Political Science or Theology
The major program introduces students to the systematic study of philosophy in a broad range of fields, problems, and issues. The program is designed to prepare students for graduate and professional schools. It also provides a solid grounding in philosophical thinking and method for those preparing for careers where critical disciplined thinking and problem analysis is an asset.
The department strongly encourages majors to consider “doubling” a philosophy major with another area of concentration. However, the student must carefully work out his or her program of studies for the double major with the philosophy major adviser.
Students have the option to major and minor in one of the following program options:
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy with the Nelson Wolff Law Early Admission Program
- Minor in Philosophy
Courses and degree plan
Law School Options
- The Pre-law Program increases your chance of gaining admission to law school.
- The Nelson Wolff Law Early Admission Program helps motivated students graduate in less time. This program is available to students in the following majors: Criminology, English, International and Global Studies, Philosophy, Political Science, Sociology and Communication Studies.
- The Guaranteed Law School Admission Program guarantees St. Mary’s graduates admission to the School of Law, if they meet certain criteria.
For more information about any of these law-related programs, please see the School of Law Admission section.