Business Week is an excellent forum for students to connect with and learn from top business and civic leaders.
While traditionally Business Week has been an in-person event, the 2020 Business Week was held virtually to accommodate the health and safety measures needed to keep our community safe from COVID-19.
Some highlights of the weeklong event included the La Quinta Keynote Lecture, the CPS Energy Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Panel, and a virtual career fair. Additionally throughout the week, mentoring workshops, moderated panels and lectures were held. Students heard from and interacted with top leaders about today’s most critical issues. The week concluded with an awards ceremony that celebrated student and faculty achievements.
This event is a longstanding tradition in the Greehey School of Business. It began in 1975 to connect the classroom to the business world under the guidance of Brother Paul Goelz, S.M., a beloved member of the Society of Mary and the San Antonio business community. Brother Goelz’s vision was to bring real-world leaders to our classrooms to share, not just their expertise, but also their passion for business and community. While the Greehey School of Business continues to innovate and grow, we have always been committed to the program’s original mission of providing relevant and responsive education that focuses on developing business professionals who are skilled, ethical, globally aware, and prepared for careers of meaning and purpose.
Business Week 2021 registration coming soon.
Business Week 2020
Ethical Leadership and Innovation During Times of Change
Schedule of Events
Monday, Oct. 12 – Mentoring Monday
The Future of Careers: Virtual Job Searching Techniques
9:20 to 10:35 a.m.
T. Tylor Behrens, Ed.D.
Associate Vice President for Career Services, St. Mary’s University
Networking Through Your Career
9:20 to 10:35 a.m.
Abraham Saldivar (B.B.A. ’07)
Director, Napier Park Global Capital
How to Prepare for Interviews
10:45 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Francisco Ramirez-Gaston (B.B.A. ’11)
Investment Banking Coach, SEO (Sponsors for Educational Opportunity)
The 3 Paragraph Cover Letter
12:20 to 1:35 p.m.
Director, Academic Media Center, St. Mary’s University
Resume Tips – Dos and Don’ts
1:45 to 3 p.m.
Sarah Vasquez (B.B.A. ’15)
Human Resources Executive Team Leader, Target
Tuesday, Oct. 13
La Quinta Keynote Speaker: Innovations Promoting Health Equity in our Communities
9:45 to 11 a.m.
Executive Vice President and Chief Digital and Technology Officer, Novant Health
With special guest:
Chief Human Resources Officer, Novant Health
CPS Energy Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Panel
2 to 3:15 p.m.
Paula Gold-Williams (B.B.A. ’84)
President and CEO, CPS Energy
Shelton Goode, D.P.A.
CEO, Icarus Consulting
Norma Ramirez Montague, Ph.D.
Associate Dean of Master’s in Management Program and Associate Professor of Accounting, Wake Forest University
- Thomas M. Mengler, J.D., President, St. Mary’s University
Destined to Fail, Destined to Succeed
5 to 6:15 p.m.
Think tank hosted by the StMU Harvey Najim Center for Business Innovation and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Ana Paula Saravia, St. Mary’s University Senior
- Daniela Duran, St. Mary’s University Junior
- Luis De La Fuente (St. Mary’s University Senior)
- Daniela Morales (St. Mary’s University Senior)
- Steve Nivin, Ph.D., Chair of the Department of Economics and Professor of Economics, St. Mary’s University
- Sergio Palacios, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Management, (Entrepreneurship and Innovation), St. Mary’s University
- Hugh Stevens, Executive Director, Harvey E. Najim Center for Innovation and Career Advancement, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Mariangela Zavala (B.B.A. ’15, M.B.A. ’17), Executive Director, Maestro Entrepreneur Center
Wednesday, Oct. 14
Being Marianist During Times of Change
9:15 to 10:30 a.m.
Brother Bernard J. Ploeger, S.M., Ph.D.
Assistant Provincial, U.S. Marianists
Rev. Tim Eden, S.M., Ed.D.
Vice President for Mission, St. Mary’s University
Sister Nicole Trahan, F.M.I.
Provincial Assistant for Education, Daughters of Mary Immaculate
Henry Van de Putte
CEO, American Red Cross Texas Gulf Coast Region
- Jessica González Uhlig, Ed.D., Executive Director, Marianist Educational Associates, St. Mary’s University
Risky Business: How to Plan for your Career Goals During Uncertain Times
11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Devan Hartung (B.B.A. ’15), Store Director, Target
- Sarah Cantu (B.B.A. ’16), Content Marketing Manager, Earth Class Mail
- Elijah Lopez (B.B.A. ’16), Financial Advisor, Manske Wealth Management
- Priya Bhakta (B.B.A. ’18, M.B.A. ’19 ),Treasury Analyst, USAA
- Ginnette Garcia (B.B.A. ’14), Sales Manager, Union Pacific
- Sabrina Martinez (B.B.A. ’19), Programs Coordinator and Small Business Advisor, Maestro Entrepreneur Center
- John Diaz (B.B.A. ’18), Associate, Bain Capital
- Ryan Salts (B.B.A. ’13), Director, Launch SA
- Fernanda Sandoval (B.B.A. ’20), Global Market Analyst, Goldman Sachs; Co-founder, Bulli$h
- Quinton Smithwick (B.B.A. ’18), Digital Strategist, Springbox
The Economy and Society: How Does It Keep Moving Forward?
2 to 3 p.m.
Julissa Carielo (B.B.A. ’95)
Founder and President, Tejas Premier Building Contractor, Inc.; Founder, Maestro Entrepreneur Center
President, DreamOn Development Company, LLC.
Thursday, Oct. 15
Future Leaders Series
9:45 to 11 a.m.
Albert Cruz (B.B.A. ’06)
Global Knowledge Management, International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Kevin Barthold, C.P.A.
City Auditor, City of San Antonio
Morgan Playle (B.B.A. ’19)
Community Manager, MullenLowe U.S.
Future Leaders Series
11:10 a.m. to 12:25 p.m.
Lexington Energy PLM and Vice President, AIGRM Branch Manager/AIGRM National Energy Leader, AIG
Former Chief Communications Officer, USAA
Luisa Rodrigues-Holland (B.B.A. ’13)
Business Unit Director, H-E-B
Virtual Career Fair
2 to 5 p.m.
Business Week Awards Ceremony
7 to 8:30 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 16 – Follow-up Friday
Recruitment interactions between students and employers, as needed.