There are currently four registered student organizations within the Department of Biological Sciences. These organizations serve multiple purposes within and outside of the department: they allow students to associate with others who are pursuing similar career goals; they help keep students informed of programs, opportunities, and events within their major and career path; they allow students to meet and network with professionals in career fields which they are interested; and they provide service to the St. Mary ‘s and San Antonio community in the Marianist tradition.
The purpose of The Pre-medical Society is to nurture the minds of students interested in pursuing a career in medicine. Membership is open to all who seek to expand their knowledge about the medical field and learn more about applying to medical school. We also aspire to continually support and promote the values of St. Mary’s University.
Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
The purpose of Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) is to serve the needs of its members and strengthen the HSE-HOSA partnership in the following ways:
- Foster programs and activities which will develop physical, mental and social well-being of the individual, leadership, character, citizenship, ethical practices and respect for the dignity of work
- Foster self-actualization of each member which contributes to meeting the individual’s psychological, social, and economic needs
- Build the confidence of students in themselves and their work by providing opportunities to assume responsibilities and by developing personal and occupational competencies and social skills that lead to realistic choices of careers and successful employment in the health care field
- Promote inter-organizational relationships with professional groups, businesses, industries and other organizations
- Recognize individual achievement in scholarship, occupational skills or services rendered by providing recognition and awards
- Promote involvement in current health care issues, environmental concerns and survival needs of the community, the nation and the world
- Establish and maintain state association in good standing with HOSA
- Continuously support and promote the values of St. Mary’s University.
Beta Beta Beta National Honor Society (Tri-Beta)
The purpose of Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society shall be to function as an honor and professional society for students of the biological sciences. Its activities shall be designed to stimulate interest, scholarly attainment, and investigation in the biological sciences, and to promote the dissemination of information and new interpretations among students of the life sciences.
American Red Cross
The purpose of American Red Cross Campus Club is to promote service through volunteer projects and establish leadership within the members of the San Antonio Area Chapter and St. Mary’s University community. The benefits of being in this organization are all members get Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Training and Disaster Trained.