- Bachelor of Science https://www.stmarytx.edu/academics/programs/software-engineering/ https://www.stmarytx.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/software-engineering-student.jpg
The rich leadership component of this program develops technical leaders ready to engineer for the greater good.
Earn a bachelor’s degree in four years, or earn both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in five years:
Students take a variety of classes, including the School of Science, Engineering and Technology core. Courses include:
- Programming for Engineers
- Fundamentals of Logic Design
- Software Design and Architecture
- Software Project Management
For a complete listing of courses and requirements, see:
Graduates from our Software Engineering program will have prospective employment as software developers in diverse areas, such as data processing systems in business, telecommunications, healthcare, cybersecurity, robotics, gaming industry and mobile applications.
A few career possibilities include:
- Software Architect. Software architects are able to transform a plan and a set of requirements into something that is programmable and achievable. They are primarily concerned with the early stages of a software development cycle, including requirements and design although they can be involved in programming as well.
- Embedded Software Engineer. From gasoline pumps to living-saving medical equipment, computers and software runs the machines that we interact with everyday − even when they don’t look like computers at all. Some people refer to these as “invisible” or “embedded” computers and they are an important part of many different systems.
- Cybersecurity Manager. These software engineers are concerned with the kinds of software that controls passwords, financial transactions, private information, and more. Managers may write security programs or act as an expert and consultant.