School of Science, Engineering and Technology
SET transcends the traditional classroom framework by placing a greater emphasis on hands-on scientific research experience. Our graduates are accepted into medical and dental schools at 1.5 times the national rate.
Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary and growing field in science for solving biological, biomedical and biochemical problems with the help of computer science, mathematics and information technology. Bioinformaticians are in high demand not only in research, but also in academia because few people have the education and skills to fill available positions.
The Bioinformatics program at St. Mary’s University prepares students for graduate school, medical school or entry into the field. Bioinformatics is highly applicable to all branches of life sciences and also to fields like personalized medicine and pharmacogenomics — the study of how genes affect a person’s response to drugs.
Programs of Study
The Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics offers three tracks that students can choose.
- Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics with a minor in Biology: 128 credit hours
- Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics with a minor in Computer Science: 125 credit hours
- Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics with a minor in Applied Mathematics: 127 credit hours
Students will take 30 credit hours of core Bioinformatics classes, which included three credit hours of internship or research and three credit hours of a Bioinformatics Capstone course.
The degree plans for the Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics programs will be available in the 2019-2020 academic catalog. In the meantime, click the button below to view a PDF of the degree plans.
The Bioinformatics program at St. Mary’s gives students the knowledge and tools to pursue graduate school, medical school or enter into a number of careers, depending on the track they choose. Career possibilities include:
- Bioinformatician – entry level
- Bioinformatics Data Analyst/Programmer/Specialist
- Biostatistician Assistant
- Biostatistical Consultant
- Clinical Data Analyst/Reporter
- Data Scientist – entry level
- Informatics Analyst
- Research Associate
- Solutions/Software Engineer – entry level