Visa Requirements

All international students and their dependents must obtain the appropriate immigration documents required to enter the U.S. prior to beginning the Intensive English Program.

In order for a new international participant to receive a U.S. visa to study in the IEP program, the applicant must:

  • Be accepted into the program
  • Provide the necessary financial documentation
  • Complete the I-20/DS-2019 Request Packet

Applicants who meet all requirements will be issued either an I-20 (F visa) or a DS-2019 (J visa). This documentation will be used by an international participant to apply for F-1 or J-1 status visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Dependents of current F-2 and J-2 participants are eligible to study in the program. Participants with an F-2 visa may study part-time, and participants with a J-2 visa may study full-time.

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services will help with all visa-related questions and paperwork. If you have any questions, email

Note: If an international participant wants to bring a spouse or dependents, additional financial support must be demonstrated for the issuance of the F2/J2 dependent I-20/DS-2019 form. Add $1,167 for your spouse and $1,000 for each dependent child for each 12-week term of study.

Estimated Cost of Attendance for New International Students
Full-time Tuition $2,500
Books and Supplies $300
Off-campus Housing and Food $3,690
Transportation $130
Personal Expenses $1,700
TOTAL $8,320

As a requirement of SEVIS regulations, students must demonstrate proof of sufficient funds to cover their estimated expenses for the full academic year. For IEP students this is $16,640 U.S. dollars.