cancellation occurs when a student decides not to return to the university prior to the last day of late registration of a given semester (for fall and spring semesters the fifth day of class and the second day of class for summer sessions). A student’s schedule cannot be cancelled after the last day of late registration but a student can withdraw from the semester; see the University Withdrawals section below. Students are responsible for resolving any holds on their accounts, including payment of any outstanding balance with the Business Office.

Failure to follow these steps could result in responsibility for tuition and other fees.

A student who chooses not to return to the university and has not registered for classes for the upcoming semester is still responsible for completing any other required processes, such as resolving any holds on their account (viewable on Gateway) and canceling their housing assignment, if applicable.

University Withdrawals

University withdrawal is when a student decides to leave the University after the fifth day of classes in a fall or spring semester (second day of classes in summer sessions). Beginning the sixth day of class these semesters (third day of classes for summer sessions), students must complete an exit process in order to properly withdraw from the University.

It is the responsibility of undergraduate students withdrawing from all courses to contact the Office of Student Retention to begin the withdrawal process. According to the tuition refund schedule, a student may be entitled to some refund of tuition at the time of withdrawal.

Notice to instructors or other University offices of withdrawal does not cancel registration or financial obligations. Withdrawal without proper notice may result in a grade of F in all courses for the semester and responsibility for full payment.

Undergraduate students who properly withdraw from the University will keep the academic standing they have at the time of their University Withdrawal.

The official withdrawal date is determined by the student’s contact with the Office of Student Retention. If the student fails to make this contact and simply stops attending classes, tuition, fees, meal plans and other applicable charges will not be adjusted on the student’s account. Lack of proper withdrawal may also result in financial aid credits be reversed according to federal regulations, leaving students with a larger financial liability if they do not withdraw properly.

Dropping a class or classes is not considered a withdrawal. The term withdrawal refers to dropping all classes after the fifth day of classes and leaving the University for that semester. For information about dropping a class, please refer to the Office of the Registrar.

Dropping Courses

It is the student’s responsibility to drop a course.  The Registrar does not initiate drops for students from courses for non-attendance.  Notifying an instructor or failing to attend class does not constitute an official drop from a course nor does it eliminate the student’s financial responsibility for course payment.

Drop Policy:

  • A course dropped by the end of the first 5 class days of the semester (Fall and Spring) is not reflected in a student’s transcript.
  • Students may drop a course up to the end of the 12thweek of the semester. A grade of “W” will be automatically be issued.
  • Student-initiated withdrawals from a course will not be accepted after the 12th week of the semester.  Students who fail to withdraw by the published deadline will receive a final grade as determined by the faculty member.  However, the grades of “W” or “WF” will not be available as final grade options.
  • After the 12thweek of the semester, faculty-initiated withdrawals from a course for excessive absences must be coordinated through the appropriate Dean or Associate Dean for a student to receive a “W” in the course.
  • If a faculty member chooses not to withdraw a student from the course for excessive absences, a final grade will be entered by the faculty member in Gateway based upon the work completed by the student.
  • Please refer to the Academic Calendar for each semester’s calendar date, including shorter semesters (summer, Maymester, etc.), for the specific drop date deadline.

International Students must also inform the Center for International Programs of their intent to withdraw from any course. Student Athletes must also inform the Athletic Department of their intent to withdraw from any course.  Dropping multiple courses or falling below full time status (12 credit hours) could potentially impact a student’s financial aid award, visa status, and challenges progress toward the degree.  Please consult with an academic adviser and financial aid adviser for more information.


Refunds of tuition and required fees are determined based on the official date of a student’s withdrawal, as determined by the Dean of Students Office. Below are the refund period timeframes.

Fall and spring semesters refund schedules

First calendar week — 100 percent refund
Second calendar week — 75 percent refund
Third calendar week —50 percent refund
Fourth calendar week — 25 percent refund

Summer Semesters refund schedules

First two days— 100 percent refund
Second two days — 75 percent refund
Third two days — 50 percent refund
Fourth two days — 25 percent refund

A special cancellation and refund policy is in effect for trimester, Maymester, eight-week and 10-week courses. Please inquire with the Office of the Registrar for more information.

Meal plan refunds (including unused dining dollars) are only granted under special circumstances and are based on the official withdrawal date.

Financial aid recipients are not eligible for a refund until all financial aid programs are reimbursed in accordance with federal, state, and University guidelines. To obtain information about the return of financial aid funds, contact the Financial Assistance Office. This department can be reached by calling 210-436-3141 or emailing Additional information is available in the Financial Aid section.

Students residing in campus housing must contact the Office of Residence Life to obtain information about any applicable housing adjustments and penalties. This department can be reached at 210-431-4312 or email Students must follow the proper check-out procedure outlined in the Residence Life Agreement and must vacate campus housing within 48 hours of the official university withdrawal date.

Dropping a class or classes is not considered a withdrawal. The term withdrawal refers to dropping all classes after the first day of classes and leaving the University for that semester. For information about dropping a class, please refer to the Office of the Registrar.


If a student in active or reserve military services is required by the military to withdraw from the University due to a military crisis, he or she will be entitled to a full tuition refund and no academic penalty will be incurred with appropriate documentation. Students who are using student loans will have to abide by the appropriate regulations. If a student is receiving VA benefits, he/she should also contact Veteran’s Affairs. Students still need to meet with the Dean of Students Office and provide appropriate documentation to complete this process.

Special Considerations

Students who believe that they have individual circumstances warranting an exception to published refund policies may contact the Dean of Students Office for such consideration.

Back to top