- Be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Participants must be at least high-beginner level of English. We do not have basic ESL courses. This means that you must be able to read, write and speak English well enough to understand classroom commands, talk about your family, your home and yourself in basic terms.
Although not required for admission into the IEP you can show proof of English proficiency through:
- a minimum TOEFL score of 340 paper based/60 computer based/18 internet based); or
- a minimum IELTS score of 3.5; or
- an equivalent score on an internationally recognized English proficiency exam
All students will take a placement test on the first day of class and based on these results will be placed in the level appropriate to their current English language proficiency.
The following items should be completed and submitted to the Intensive English Program:
√ Completed online application
√ Completed I-20/DS-2019 Request Packet (for new international participants only). The electronic I-20/DS-2019 packet will be sent to you once you are accepted into the program.
√ Completed IEP transfer form (transfer participants only)
√ Provide evidence of current health insurance coverage (health insurance must meet specific requirements or students will be automatically enrolled in St. Mary’s University health insurance)
√ Provide evidence of current Meningococcal Meningitis Vaccine
√ Provide evidence of current Tuberculosis (TB) screening
√ Submit all paperwork
You may also find helpful information on the International Student and Scholar pages.