JAMP Pre-med Summer Camps
Pathways Into Medicine Camp
(for incoming St. Mary’s freshman)
June 23-27, 2019
Career Explorations Workshop
(for high school students)
July 22-25, 2019
Thomas E. (Ted) Macrini, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology
JAMP Faculty Director
Carly Friedman, Ph.D.
Pre-Health Professions Adviser
In 2010, the St. Mary’s University Department of Biological Sciences received funding to hold its first pre-medical summer camp. Both the “Career Explorations Workshop” (high school juniors and seniors) and “Pathways into Medicine” (incoming St. Mary’s freshman) summer camp are funded by JAMP and have two goals: (1) Recruit and educate potential JAMP students about the JAMP program and the opportunities it provides, and (2) Present students with a unique, hands-on experience with health care professionals in a medical school environment. Both camps are free of charge.
While each camp is slightly different, typical camp activities include:
- Presentations on topics such as the JAMP program, medical school admission, medical specialties and more
- Hands-on laboratory activities including exploring the human brain, learning the art of suturing and arm wrapping
- Guided tours of University Hospital, UT Health San Antonio, and St. Mary’s University
- Panel discussion with current JAMP medical students and Pre-medical students
- Visiting the Bulverde Cadaver Lab
- Participants in the Pathways Camp will also have time to engage in various evening activities such as community service, pool party, jumping at ThinAir, and movie night.