Join us for summer band camp June 10-15, 2024.
Students in grades 6-12 are invited for a week of fun, practice and learning.
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
10 a.m., Blue Band Concert
11 a.m., Gold Band Concert
St. Mary’s University Summer Band Camp
Join us for a structured week of full band rehearsals, technique classes, fun electives, and a final concert.
The camp is open to middle school and high school students in grades 6-12.
Warm-up: Meet inside Guadalupe Chapel
Full Band Rehearsal: Students will meet together as part of a full band rehearsing music in preparation for an end of the week performance. Students get the opportunity to work with a high-quality middle school director in the Blue Band, and with Dr. Matthew Mireles, Director of Bands at St. Mary’s University, in the Gold Band.
Technique Class: Each instrument meets together with their section teacher to learn fundamentals specific to their instrument. Focus is on advancing each student’s playing abilities.
Sectionals: Sections meets together to work specifically on the full band music. This affords each student the opportunity to improve their part in making a higher quality performance with the full band.
Electives: Registered students choose one elective to participate in. This is an opportunity for each student to learn about other areas of music.
- Composition: Learn the fundamentals of writing music, and developing your skills as a composer.
- Conducting: Learn the fundamentals of leading an ensemble as the conductor. Conducting patterns, fundamentals, and how to read a score.
- Drum Major Techniques: Anyone looking to either audition for a drum major position in the future, or current drum majors looking to advance their skills. Fundamentals of beat patterns, and leadership.
- Jazz Improvisation: Explore the basics of learning how to improvise in jazz music. For beginners and advanced students, the class centers more specifically on learning and advancing fundamentals and techniques of jazz improvisation.
- Marching Fundamentals: Learn the fundamentals to marching in a Texas high school marching band. Get prepared for marching band to return in the fall! Open to all students, beginners to advanced, with the focus on learning and improving fundamental marching concepts.
- Leadership Training: Learn the necessary skills for leadership positions in your home band. Anyone looking to apply for a leadership position at their school, or current leaders. Classes are focused on learning how to become a strong leader.
- Percussion Ensemble: A class centered around advancing your skills as a percussionist. Perform as part of a full percussion ensemble. The Percussion Ensemble is only open to percussion students. Percussion students are not required to be in the percussion ensemble. They can still choose any elective they are interested in.
- Sight-reading and Ear Training: Develop critical fundamentals as a musician. Improve your music reading ability, intonation, listening and performance skills. This course will arm you with tools to help you learn music faster and more effectively.
- Introduction to Piano: Learn the fundamentals of piano playing. Intended for beginners or students looking to explore more introductory piano techniques. (Limited to first 10 students to sign up).
The first day of camp will include placement auditions to ensure each student is in the correct band and on the part that affords them the best opportunity for advancing as a musician. The placement auditions are supportive and encouraging, and will help our teachers place students on appropriate parts that will allow them to have the best experience at camp.
- Students are required to bring music of their own choosing to perform for the placement auditions.
- Students should bring two contrasting pieces to audition, and should be music that is representative of their performance level and abilities. (Examples include, but are not limited to: Solo repertoire, all/region/state audition etudes, etudes/method books, parts performed in school and scale sheets.)
- Percussion provided: Timpani, Marimba, Snare Drum and Xylophone
- Percussion students should bring their own sticks and mallets.
Camp Schedule 2024
Opening Monday, June 10
|Arrivals and Registration outside at Pecan Grove
|Group Welcome and Instructions
|Ensemble Rehearsals (Students will be handed folders with part assignments based on their placement audition.)
|Performance by the San Antonio Brass Band (sabrass.org)
Tuesday June 11, to Friday, June 14
|Welcome and Warm-up
|Full Band Rehearsal
|Full Band Rehearsal
|Daily Schedule Example – Gold Band
Saturday, June 15
|Blue Band Concert
|Gold Band Concert
Includes camp tuition, lunch Monday through Friday, sheet music, folder, badge with name and schedule, bottled water and camp t-shirt.
We officially open the band camp at 8 a.m., and require students to be picked up at the conclusion of the day by 4:30 every Monday to Friday. However, we can accommodate parents and guardians needing an earlier arrival and/or later pickup times.
$30 Early Arrival: 7 a.m. to 8 a.m.
$30 Late Pick-up: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Fees are the total for the week.