Community

The Defining Moment Comprehensive Campaign gifts bring glory to a St. Mary’s University education

One gift alone can contribute to transformative educational opportunities — the defining moments that change a student’s trajectory from unsure to successful, elevate a professor’s research into the national limelight and support the University community in its faith journey with Catholic and Marianist traditions.

Professor and student research St. Mary’s Hispanic-serving history

Gerald E. Poyo, Ph.D., resolved to tell the story of St. Mary’s University’s history with the intention of uncovering its Hispanic historical narrative. What he found was the University’s foundation, from the very start, was rooted in a call to serve Mexican children.

Student from Nepal forges a community far from home

Shirish Amatya, a senior Computer Science major in the Marianist Leadership Program, is a long way from home. That’s because Amatya grew up in Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal, nearly 8,500 miles away from St. Mary’s University.

The Rattler marks a century of publication

When the Dean of Students asked me to be the editor-in-chief of St. Mary’s University’s student-run newspaper as a freshman in Fall 2002, I scoffed. I didn’t feel ready or capable. I barely knew my way around campus.

Longtime trustee leads the Defining Our Future Task Force

David Biegler (B.S. ’68), the Dallas-based chairman and retired CEO of Southcross Energy, has been giving back to St. Mary’s University for decades — not only through generous monetary donations, but also through his time and effort on the St. Mary’s University Board of Trustees.

ROTC cadet ranked No. 3 in the nation

A member of the St. Mary’s Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), Martinez will be commissioned in May as a second lieutenant. But he’s already hit a major accomplishment in his young military career — earning U.S. Army Cadet Command’s designation as the No. 3 ROTC cadet in the nation in 2019.

International students discover new home at St. Mary’s

International Education Week, celebrated nationwide this year from Nov. 12-16, highlights the 8 percent of students at St. Mary’s University from other countries who are an integral part of the campus community.

Language grad makes cultural, career connections

Michelle Michimani Leyva remembers asking her high school Spanish teacher if she could use glue and recalls how her teacher admonished her for using slang, rather than more formal language.

History lesson fit for royalty

The St. Mary’s community welcomed Spanish nobility — the Duque de Béjar, Pedro Roca de Togores; Duquesa Marta Garcia Perez; their daughter, Maria Sandra Roca de Togores; and their granddaughter, Cayetana Roca de Togores — to campus in May to illuminate their ancestors’ role in the city’s founding.

Couple finds love after meeting in Geology lab

What began as an experience many St. Mary’s students know and love – passionate professors creating an intimate learning environment – became an essential puzzle piece to the love story of Claire Seifert and Robert Gray, seven years after they met.

The Full St. Mary’s Experience

When Leslie Ortiz was deciding where to go to college, the El Paso native was certain she’d be off to a fashion design school. But she didn’t figure on St. Mary’s coming into the picture.

More Than a Dorm

As St. Mary’s University’s designated science living community since 2011, and one of eight academic and themed living communities on campus, Marian’s 120 residents are all science majors, busy with classes and labs most of the day.