About the Center for Cyber Excellence
The Center for Cyber Excellence at St. Mary’s University is a collaborative venture drawing on the expertise of faculty and staff from the School of Science, Engineering and Technology, as well as from other disciplines within the University and the University’s Information Services Division. The Center provides guidance and general cyber defense information, and promotes collaboration and interaction with other students, faculty and programs.
St. Mary’s University offers a Master of Science program in Cybersecurity, as well as a 12-hour graduate Certificate of Cybersecurity.
Affiliated Faculty and Staff
- Ayad Barsoum, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Computer Science
- Mitra Bokaei Hosseini, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Wenbin Luo, Ph.D., Professor of Computer Engineering
- Vahid Emamian, Ph.D., Professor of Electrical Engineering
- Robert L. Summers, J.D., Professor of Law
- Ozgur Aktunc, Ph.D., Professor of Software Engineering
- Brian Stuhl
- Charles J. Zinsmeyer
- Jon Ford
- Dean Halter, Information Security Officer, Association of Marianist Universities
- Frank Niewierski, Executive Director, Client and Systems Support, St. Mary’s University
- Joseph Longo, Executive Director, Infrastructure and Enterprise Systems, Information Security Committee Chair, St. Mary’s University
Cyber Defense Activities and Organizations
- AFCEA Capture the Flag: The competition is a 4-hour, Jeopardy-Style competition for aspiring cyber and cybersecurity professionals. This competition is a learning tool that will measure the participant’s current familiarity with various cybersecurity topics and will further sharpen the tools they have learned through education or self-learning. Our students participated in Alamo AFCEA Capture the Flag competition in 2018, 2019 and 2020. In 2020, we participated with two teams and earned first place.
- Buffer Overflow Club
- Cyber Patriot: Information Security Association student chapter. The association is open to all students with an interest in information systems. The mission of Information Security Association is to promote management practices that will ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of information resources. Our goal is to facilitate interaction and education to create a more successful environment for global information systems security and for the professionals involved.
- ISACA San Antonio Chapter
- National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competitions
- National CyberWatch Center Academic Institution Membership Program
- St. Mary’s Cybersecurity and Mobile Apps Camp
- St. Mary’s C³: Coding and Cybersecurity Camp
- WiCyS (Women in Cybersecurity)
Institutional Security Resources and Awareness
External Board of Advisors
Joe H. Sánchez, Jr.
Founder & Executive Director, CyberTexas Foundation
Dave Salisbury, Ph.D.
Center Director, University of Dayton
CEO, Trinity Cyber