About the Center for Cyber Excellence
The Center for Cyber Excellence at St. Mary’s University is a collaborative venture drawing on the expertise of faculty and staff from the School of Science, Engineering and Technology, as well as from other disciplines within the University and the University’s Information Services Division. The Center provides guidance and general cyber defense information, and promotes collaboration and interaction with other students, faculty and programs.
St. Mary’s University offers a Master of Science program in Cybersecurity, as well as a 12-hour graduate Certificate of Cybersecurity.
St. Mary’s University, through the M.S. in Cyber Security program, has been designated by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE-CD).
- St. Mary’s University Cyber Rattlers team placed fourth in the Alamo AFCEA Capture the Flag Cyber Competition on Nov. 15, 2023. Student competitors included Reetej R. Chindarkar, William U. de Marigny, Natalie M. Rankin and Joseph Drouillard.
- Ayad Barsoum is serving as a Reviewer for NSA CAE-CD (Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense)
- Glenn Howard and Mark Maldonado are serving as adjunct faculty members.
Affiliated Faculty and Staff
- Jon Ford
- Glenn Howard
- Mark Maldonado
- Brian Stuhl
- Charles J. Zinsmeyer
- Dean Halter, Information Security Officer, Association of Marianist Universities
- Frank Niewierski, Executive Director, Client and Systems Support, St. Mary’s University
- Troy Christman, Executive Director, Infrastructure and Enterprise Services, St. Mary’s University
Cyber Defense Activities and Organizations
- AFCEA Capture the Flag: The competition is a 4-hour, Jeopardy-style competition for aspiring cyber and cybersecurity professionals. This competition is a learning tool that will measure the participant’s current familiarity with various cybersecurity topics and will further sharpen the tools they have learned through education or self-learning. St. Mary’s University has regularly competed in the competition since 2018.
- Cyber Patriot: Information Security Association student chapter. The association is open to all students with an interest in information systems. The mission of Information Security Association is to promote management practices that will ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of information resources. Our goal is to facilitate interaction and education to create a more successful environment for global information systems security and for the professionals involved.
Institutional Security Resources and Awareness
External Board of Advisors
Joe H. Sánchez, Jr.
Founder and Executive Director, CyberTexas Foundation
Dave Salisbury, Ph.D.
Center Director, University of Dayton
CEO, Trinity Cyber