St. Mary’s University’s Center for Catholic Studies Advisory Board is composed of faculty, staff and administrators interested in and capable of supporting the Catholic Marianist mission and identity of the institution. The primary role of the Board is to work with the Beirne Director to encourage, develop and maintain programs associated with the Center to:
- Provide fuller and more faithful attention of the special role of the Catholic and Marianist tradition of the institution, especially through curricular and co-curricular activities.
- Develop structures and models for collaborative leadership in program development in support of the integration of the Catholic teachings and Marianist educational characteristics.
- Identify priorities for action and ongoing growth of CCS programs and activities.
- Encourage interfaith cooperation while affirming institutional commitment to the Catholic faith and its teaching.
- Support the enhancement of programs, activities, curricula, and fundraising of the Center and its programs to emphasize the Catholic intellectual tradition, Marianist educational characteristics, and Catholic social teaching.
Board Members (as of August 2019)
Alicia Cordoba Tait, D.M.A. (Chair)
Beirne Director, Center for Catholic Studies
James Greenaway, Ph.D.
Charles H. Miller Sr., M.D. Chair in Human Dignity
Todd R. Hanneken, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Theology
Gerald E. Poyo, Ph.D.
O’Connor Chair for the History of Hispanic Texas and the Southwest
Chair, Catholic Philosophy
Chair, Catholic Marianist Education Leadership
Administrative Staff Representative
Jose Matos Auffant
Executive Director of University Ministry
Ex Oficio (Non-Voting Members)
Thomas Mengler, J.D.
William Buhrman, Ph.D.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Fr. Tim Eden, S.M.
Vice President for Mission and Rector
Brother Ed Brink, S.M.
Chair, Board of Trustees Catholic and Marianist Identity Committee
Chairperson, Board of Trustees
Rev. Oscar Vasquez, S.M.