Student publication earns 25 awards at TIPA convention
For the third-consecutive year, The Rattler won first place for Overall Excellence in its division of student newspapers published bi-weekly or less frequently.
The Rattler also earned the highest rating in its division, and took home the Sweepstakes Award.
For on-site contests, managing editor Paige Gandara-Valderas, a senior Art Education major, took second place for editorial cartoon. Advertising manager Michelle Michimani-Leyva, a junior English Communication Arts major, placed third in print advertising design. Design editor Guillermo Avelar, a junior Finance and Risk Management major, won honorable mention for yearbook design.
More than 500 participants from nearly 50 Texas colleges and universities attended the convention in Dallas.
The Rattler’s awards include:
Individual Overall Excellence
- Stela Khury, editor-in-chief: Frank Buckley Scholarship
- Second Place, Yearbook Design: Rachel Grahmann
- Second Place, Feature Photo: Kyra Littlejohn
- Third Place, Magazine Design: Rachel Grahmann
- Honorable Mention, Editorial Writing: Emily Artalejo
Newspaper Division 5 (published bi-weekly or less, with enrollment in lower half of all entries)
- Overall Excellence: The Rattler
- Special Edition: The Rattler (Issue 10, Oct. 28, 2015)
- Single Subject Design: Sara E. Flores (Rattlers around the world, Issue 9, Oct. 7, 2015)
- Headline: Sara E. Flores, (Halloween booze & don’ts, Issue 10, Oct. 28, 2015)
- Information Graphic: Manuela Gonzalez (Coming to the 210, Issue 4, March 26, 2015)
- Sports Page Design: Allie Beedle (Issue 8, Sept. 23, 2015)
- Single Subject Presentation Design: Alondra Garcia (Ecuador, Issue 3, March 4, 2015)
- In-Depth Reporting: Daniel Perez (Work-study positions become scared to utilize resources, Issue 7, March 3, 2015)
- Information Graphic: Sara E. Flores (Sports Schedules, Issue 10, Oct. 28, 2015)
- Sports Page Design: Allie Beedle (Issue 2, Feb. 18.2015)
- News Story: Michelle Michimani-Leyva (University lacks sprinkler system protection in dorms, Issue 11, Nov. 18, 2015)
- In-Depth Reporting: Sara E. Flores (Student work-study employees encounter conflicting payment dates, Issue 8, Sept. 23, 2015)
- Photo Illustration: Brandon Leonard (Bullying visually impaired students poses a threat to education development, Issue 8, Sept. 23, 2015)
- Editorial Cartoon: Brandon Leonard (Leaked videos cause controversy, Issue 6, Aug. 19, 2015)
- Page One Design: Alondra Garcia (Issue 3, March 4, 2015)
- Opinion/Editorial Page Design: Sofia Zanetta (Issue 7, Sept. 3, 2015)
- Feature Story: Joshua Madrid (New assistant director for student activities creates diverse events on campus, Issue 11, Nov. 18, 2015)
- Feature Photo: Julia Ewalefo (Students divulge some inexplicable paranormal experiences, Issue 10,Oct. 28, 2015)
- Photo Illustration: Sara E. Flores (Women’s tennis keeps cool under pressure, Issue 8,Sept. 23, 2015)
- Illustration: Manuela Gonzalez & Brandon Leonard (Online dating becoming option for students, Issue 5, April 29, 2015)
Brother Dennis R. Bautista, S.M., Ph.D., is faculty adviser for The Rattler.