St. Mary’s offers numerous incentives to active and former military members
For more information, contact Andrew Lyons, Coordinator of Veteran and Military Affairs, at email@example.com.
This page details the aid specific to military and veteran students. VA students and their dependents can qualify for additional financial aid. Learn more by visiting the St. Mary’s Financial Aid page.
|For Veterans||Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)||Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)||Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30)||Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606)||Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)|
|Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in its entirety||X||X||X||X|
|DD Form 214||X||X||X||X||X|
|Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)||X||X|
|VA Form 22-1995-Change of Program (Required if benefits were used at another school)||As needed||As needed||As needed||As needed|
|28-1905 (Received from Voc Rehab Counselor)||X|
|DD-2384 -1 (NOBE)||X|
|Certification of Enrollment Form||X||X||X||X||X|
|For Spouses and Dependents||Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)||Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)-Widow/Child (Chapter 35)||Fry Scholarship|
|Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in its entirety||X||X||X|
|Sponsor’s DD Form 214||X||X|
|VA Form 22-1995-Change of Program (Required if benefits were used at another school)||As needed|
|22-5495- Change of Program (Required if benefits were used at another school)||As needed||As needed|
|Certification of Enrollment Form||X||X||X|
Rate of Pursuit
Chapters 30, 35, 1606, and 1607: VA Benefits are paid based on training time. In a standard semester, VA measures training time as follows:
Undergraduate Rate of Pursuit
|Credit hours||Enrollment status|
|9-11 hours||3/4 time|
|6-8 hours||1/2 time|
|4-5 hours||< 1/2 time|
|1-3 hours||< 1/4 time|
Graduate/Ph.D. Rate of Pursuit
|Fall/Spring||Summer||8-week classes||Enrollment status|
|8+ hours||3+ hours||6+ hours||Full-time|
|5-7 hours||2 hours||4-5 hours||3/4 time|
|4 hours||N/A||3 hours||1/2 time|
|1-3 hours||1 hour||1-2 hours||< 1/2 time|
Law Rate of Pursuit
|10+ hours||3+ hours||4 hours||Full-time|
|6-9 hours||2 hours||N/A||3/4 time|
|5 hours||N/A||1 hour||1/2 time|
|1-4 hours||1 hour||N/A||< 1/2 time|
Yellow Ribbon Program
St. Mary’s is a Yellow Ribbon School for the eligible 100% Post 9-11 students and may fund the tuition and fee expenses that exceed the VA national annual maximum allotted to private institutions.
What is Yellow Ribbon?
The Yellow Ribbon Program allows private schools to enter into an agreement with the VA to fund the tuition and fee costs that exceeds the yearly national cap of $24,476.79 for students enrolled in private institutions (after August 1, 2019). The Yellow Ribbon Program is utilized in conjunction with student’s Post 9-11 GI Bill® and funds are paid directly to the school when the enrollment certification is processed. St. Mary’s will match the 50% VA contribution and fund 50% of the remaining unmet tuition & fee charges for all eligible students.
How do I qualify?
- Must be using Chapter 33 Post 9-11 Benefits at 100% eligibility
- Must have remaining time/months of benefits. Yellow Ribbon does NOT cover tuition/fees if benefits are exhausted/expired.
- Registered for Fall/Spring/Summer and total yearly tuition cost.
- NOT Active Duty personnel or spouse of active duty sponsor*
*Current active duty personnel or their spouses are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program until August 1, 2022, with the exception of Purple Heart Recipients, who are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program regardless of their active duty status.
- Awards are made to qualified applicants.
- The amount each student will receive from St. Mary’s will vary according to the cost of their degree program and any tuition specific scholarships or grant they may have been awarded. The Yellow Ribbon Program award cannot be combined with other University of the St. Mary’s institutional awards to result in a surplus for the student.
- Yellow Ribbon contributions will not be adjusted after the last day to drop classes without a W assigned. Any costs accrued due to adding or dropping classes after that date each semester will be the responsibility of the student.
- Once St. Mary’s receives the Yellow Ribbon funding from VA and has been posted to the student’s account, the St. Mary’s Office of Financial Aid will add the matching amount. Please be aware, the standard processing time for the VA is 4-6 weeks.
- Once selected for the Yellow Ribbon Program at St. Mary’s, students will be funded each year they are in their current program of study as long as St. Mary’s continues and is approved to renew its agreement with the VA each academic year. St. Mary’s has the right to reduce awards or discontinue the program at the end of each academic year.
For additional information about the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and the Yellow Ribbon Program, please visit the GI Bill® website.
Post 9/11 GI Bill®
If you were on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001, you may be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (effective Aug. 1, 2009) makes the following educational benefits available:
- Tuition and fees paid directly to the school are capped at $25,162 for the 2020-2021 academic year. For more information, see VA – GI Bill Benefits.
- A monthly housing allowance based on the rate of an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school.
- A stipend for books and supplies of up to $1,000 a year.
For additional information about the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program, please visit the GI Bill website.
Vocational Rehabilitation Education Program (Chapter 31)
To view program requirements and to apply, visit www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre. If you are accepted into the Chapter 31 program and registered at St. Mary’s University, you will need to submit the following forms:
- St. Mary’s University request for Certification of Enrollment (every term/semester)
- VA Case Manager sends PO Authorization to School
- Military Transcript
- Send all official academic transcripts to Admissions
Active-duty military: The tuition rate for qualified part-time military students is $260 per credit hour. For qualification requirements at the undergraduate level, contact Undergraduate Admission at 210-436-3126.
Active-duty military, retired military, Department of Defense employees, and spouses of these groups qualify for the $260 per credit hour tuition with or without military/DOD tuition assistance. This per-credit hour rate is valid for part-time and full-time students. Graduate students should contact Graduate Admission at 210-436-3101.
Please note: The military tuition rate is not applicable to the Ph.D. programs or the School of Law at St. Mary’s University.
The discount is applied to tuition only and any other fees associated with enrollment will be the responsibility of the students. Discounts are not applicable to students for whom 100 percent tuition is paid by any third-party payer or using VA Educational Benefits. Discounts may be reversed if third-party or VA eligibility for benefits is received after discount(s) have been applied.
Book and Supply Voucher
Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation students are the only students provided with these vouchers. Book Vouchers are sent directly to the St. Mary’s Bookstore. Please contact the Business Office or review your Student Account in Gateway to ensure funds have been sent to the Bookstore. Please note, a current VA 22-1905 must be on file to provide the vouchers.
There are many scholarships created specifically for the men and women who have served our country. For an up-to-date list of the latest scholarships, contact Andrew Lyons, Coordinator of Veteran and Military Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.