Enrolling at St. Mary’s University and taking advantage of your military benefits is simple

After you’ve applied and been accepted to the university, follow these two steps:

  • Step 1

    Determine your eligibility and benefit type with the Department of Veteran Affairs.

    Apply online at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/apply.asp or by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

    VA regulations state that active duty service members may not receive standard VA benefits for the same courses for which they receive Tuition Assistance (TA) from the military. Some Active Guard Reserve (AGR) members receiving Chapter 1606 or Chapter 1607 benefits are considered to be on active duty. The active duty prohibition would apply to these AGR members.

    Students who receive 100 percent VA benefits for tuition and fees, are not eligible for academic and need-based scholarships and grants awarded by St. Mary’s University.

  • Step 2

    Submit all required documents for your benefits to Andrew Lyons, St. Mary’s Coordinator of Veteran and Military Affairs, in St. Louis Hall, Room 301, or via email to alyons1@stmarytx.edu

    Documents include:

    • Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) Letter from the VA. After the initial Certificate of Eligibility is turned in, a new Certificate of Eligibility or a VA Statement of Benefits needs to be turned in each Fall semester.
    • DD Form 214, member or sponsor copy
    • St. Mary’s VA Request for Certification. This form is required for each term and for each registration.
    • Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Form (VA form 22-1995 for Veteran or 22-5495 for Dependent). This is required if the student has previously used VA education benefits at another college or university.

    Chapters 1606, 1607, and 30 veterans may verify their monthly enrollment by either clicking on the WAVE link or by calling the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System: 1-877-823-2378

    All students are encouraged to review their funding options and annually complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Military and Veteran Benefits

St. Mary’s is proud to be a Yellow Ribbon School. In addition, the University offers grants, scholarships and vouchers as an added benefit for those who have served our country. Active military and veterans also have access to the Belisario and Angelina Flores Student Veterans Center.

Back to top