Federal Verification is a review process required by the U.S. Department of Education, which mandates that St. Mary’s confirm the accuracy and completeness of the information provided on a FAFSA and confirms your eligibility to receive financial assistance.
Each year, about one in three students will be selected to complete the verification process.
If you need to submit documents, please submit the online form in Gateway.
Reasons people are selected for Federal Verification:
- there are inconsistencies and/or potential errors on the FAFSA,
- they are randomly selected, or
- the school finds conflicting information on the FAFSA.
What to do if you are selected
If selected for Federal Verification, you are required to complete the information requested by our office. If we must verify you and/or your parent’s federal tax information, this can be done by using the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) or with a signed copy of your 2018 Federal tax return and applicable schedules.
To submit and transfer your completed tax information to the FAFSA form, we recommend you use the IRS DRT; this tool is accessed through your FAFSA . Using the IRS DRT reduces processing delays.
You will be unable to use IRS DRT if:
- Your marital status has changed since you filed the tax return used in that FAFSA.
- You filed an amended return (See Tax Transcript below)
- You filed married filing separately
- You filed a tax return using a Tax ID Number (TIN)
- You filed a foreign tax return. (In this case, submit a signed copy of your return to the financial aid office.)
- The home address on the FAFSA does not match the address on the tax return
Tax information electronically filed within the last two weeks or submitted by mail within the last eight weeks may not be available.
If you cannot update your FAFSA using the IRS DRT, you may submit a signed copy of your actual tax return.
If you filed an amended return:
- Submit a copy of your signed 2018 Tax returns and applicable schedules
- Submit a copy of your signed 2018 1040X Amended tax return
Remember to include your student ID number on your tax transcript before you submit it to our office.
How you know you are selected
If you are required to complete the Federal Verification process, your Student Aid Report (SAR) will indicate you have been selected. Our office will also send a letter to your permanent mailing address on file. If you are still unsure of your status, please check the Financial Aid Requirements section on Gateway, the student portal.
If you are selected for Federal Verification, you MUST complete this process in order for St. Mary’s to process your FAFSA.
For more information about the Federal Verification process, visit the Federal Student Aid website.
For the 2020-2021 academic year, we have extended the date to submit all requested documentation to receive a timely award with all possible funding from May 1, 2020 to June 1, 2020.
After verification is complete
If the data reported on your FAFSA is confirmed, the Office of Financial Assistance can determine your eligibility for financial aid.
If we find differences between the data reported on your FAFSA and the information that you submitted, we must submit corrections to the the Department of Education which will provide us with a new FAFSA transaction, extending the verification process by a few days. You can monitor your FAFSA verification status on Gateway. You will be notified when your award is ready for review on Gateway.