San Antonio – St. Mary’s University’s women’s tennis team rolled to its first win of the season, defeating Our Lady of the Lake University, 9-0, in action Friday afternoon at the St. Mary’s University Tennis Courts.
The Rattlers had little trouble winning the match, winning all nine matches in straight sets. Vanessa Sholles (Jr., Paramaribo, Suriname) improved to 3-3 this season with a 6-0, 6-0, win over Thea Lonewolf at number one singles. Sholles also teamed up with Kelly Cooper (Fr., San Antonio) to defeat Lonewolf and Audrey Alba, 8-3, at number one doubles. Cooper won 6-2, 6-2, at number three singles against Michelle Reyes. Danielle Aranda (So., San Antonio) won by a 7-5, 6-2, count at number two singles against Alba.
The win was the Rattlers first of the season and St. Mary’s improved to 1-2. OLLU fell to 0-1 with the loss. The Rattlers will return to action on Tuesday when they travel to Seguin to face Texas Lutheran University in a non-conference matchup.
St. Mary’s 9, Our Lady of the Lake 0
St. Mary’s Tennis Courts
1. Vanessa Scholles (STMU) def. Thea Lonewolf (OLLU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Dani Aranda (STMU) def. Audrey Alba (OLLU), 7-5, 6-2
3. Kelli Cooper (STMU) def. Michelle Reyes (OLLU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Erica Carmona (STMU) def. Liz Rodriguez (OLLU), 6-0, 1-0 retired
5. Tiffany Edwards (STMU) def. Elizabeth Holguin (OLLU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Ashley Hernandez (STMU) def. Angie Solis (OLLU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Cooper/Scholles (STMU) def. Alba/Lonewolf (OLLU), 8-3
2. Calderon/ Hernandez (STMU) def. Reyes/Rodriguez (OLLU), 8-4
3. Aranda/Edwards (STMU) def. Holguin/Solis (OLLU), 8-1
Records: St. Mary’s 1-2, OLLU 0-1