March 22, 2019
St. Mary’s University’s student led newspaper, The Rattler, was honored Best of Show in its division by the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) and earned honorable mention for Overall Excellence Paper.
The paper was recognized during the TIPA 2019 conference in Corpus Christi March 13-16. The Rattler presented its work for the 2018 spring and fall semesters at the four-day conference earning 16 awards, which included Overall Design Newspaper and Cover Design Newspaper. The Rattler took home the title of Best of Show for the first issue of the 2019 spring semester at the on-site competition.
“This paper had a great range of coverage. It did a great job keeping a consistent placement of standard features from issue to issue,” stated the evaluation results for Overall Excellence Paper.
The list of awards received by The Rattler are as follows:
- Best of Show, Division 4
- Overall Excellence Paper (Honorable Mention)
- Breaking News, Miriam Robles, “DACA” (2nd); Victoria Saldaña, “Mold” (3rd)
- Critical Review, Miriam Robles, “Movies” (3rd)
- General Column, Julissa Cantu, “Trend” (2nd)
- General News, Victoria Saldaña, “Financial Aid” (3rd)
- Sports Game Story, Tawny Davis, “History” (1st)
- Cover Design Newspaper (1st)
- Overall Design Newspaper, Staff (3rd)
- Sports Page Design, Staff, “Look Back” (3rd)
- Editorial Cartoon, Natalia Zuñiga, Samantha Ramos, “Feb. 14” (3rd)
- Feature Photo, Natalia Zuñiga, “Woman and Dog” (2nd)
- General News Photo, Michelle Michimani, “Defining Moment” (3rd)
- Static Info Graphic, Daniela Gonzales, “30 Years” (2nd)
- Feature Page Design, Staff (2nd)
- Photo Illustration, Staff, “Cisneros” (2nd)