Nearly 600 volunteers from St. Mary’s University are expected to spread out among 30 sites throughout San Antonio on Saturday, Jan. 24, to do good for those in need, a huge effort through the bi-annual Continuing the Heritage event.
The service day isn’t limited to San Antonio. The Houston alumni chapter will help Catholic Charities with their Food Fair Event that morning from 8-11 a.m. The Houston Area Food Bank delivers food to Catholic Charities (326 South Jensen Drive, Houston, 77003), and volunteers will package and distribute it to Catholic Charities clients.
Continuing the Heritage brings together University students, faculty, staff and alumni to volunteer for various community projects, such as graffiti abatement, yardwork, packaging and delivering food and clothing for the poor, and working with children and animals. Volunteers from Wells Fargo, the event’s official sponsor, also will participate.
Online registration began Thursday, Jan. 15.
Since 2003, nearly 7,500 volunteers have offered about 41,000 hours to organizations that provide much-needed services throughout the area.
San Antonio volunteers will gather at the Pecan Grove at 11:30 a.m. for an opening ceremony, which includes breakfast and prayer, before beginning their afternoon of service. From 1-4 p.m., they will serve at sites including:
- Southwest Workers Union at 1416 East Commerce St. As many as 60 volunteers will plant seeds, harvest fruit and weed/mulch gardens.
- Basilica of the National Shrine of the Little Flower’s Garden of St. Therese at 1111 Culebra Road. Volunteers will assist with a community garden.
- San Antonio Children’s Museum at 305 E Houston St. Volunteers will help prepare for the museum’s move to its new site.
- Guide Dogs of Texas at 1503 Allena Drive. Volunteers will paint dog kennels and clean up outdoor area.
- Roy Cisneros Elementary at 3011 Ruiz St. About 45 volunteers will assist at the school’s Literacy Festival.
- City Year at Smith Elementary School (823 South Gevers St.) Volunteers will help set up for the annual Women’s Luncheon.
- Dream Center San Antonio at 1617 E Commerce. About 35 volunteers will prepare food bags and also put up drywall and paint.
- Texas Diaper Bank at 1701 W Woodlawn Ave. Volunteers will repackage baby wipes and diapers.
Look for #CTH15 photos on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!