April 24, 2012
The St. Mary’s Department of Music and the San Antonio Fiesta Commission are the sponsors of this event, which is one of the oldest Jazz festivals in the nation. The Friday concert will kick off at 1 p.m. in the Pecan Grove with outstanding university and junior college jazz bands performing, with headliner The Jim Cullum Jazz Band at 8:30 p.m.
On Saturday, April 28, the 50th Annual Fiesta Jazz Band Festival will run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in both the University Center and the Treadaway Recital Hall. This event attracts more than 25 junior and senior high school jazz ensembles from Texas and other states. Participants perform before a panel of jazz clinicians, with trophies awarded for outstanding performances and jazz clinics held throughout the day. This year’s clinicians include Jim Cullum, Keith Winking, Jim Waller, Cecil R. Carter, Jim Kalson, Morgan King and Dale Schultz. The various groups with perform throughout the day, with the awards ceremony at 5 p.m.
All events are free and open to the public.
Schedule of events for Friday April 27 – Fiesta World Class Jazz Concert
- 1 p.m.: San Antonio College Combo, Mark Denison, director
- 2 p.m.: San Antonio College Ensemble, Mark Denison, director
- 3 p.m.: Alamo Colleges Jazz Allstars, Katharine Cartwright, director
- 4 p.m.: St. Mary’s Jazz Combo, Joe Caploe, director
- 5 p.m.: University of the Incarnate Word Jazz Ensemble, Jim Waller, director
- 6 p.m.: St. Mary’s University Jazz Orchestra, John Rankin, D.M.A., director
- 7 p.m.: Jim Kalson Trio featuring Kirk Covington, drumset, and Trevor LaBonte, guitar
- 8:30 p.m.: Jim Cullum Jazz Band