LAREDO–St. Mary’s University used a season-high five goals to break a three-game losing streak and pick up a 5-1 victor over Texas A&M International University in Heartland Conference women’s soccer action Saturday.
Five different Rattlers picked up goals in the victory, which was the highest scoring game this season by two goals for St. Mary’s. Melinda Gentry (Jr., Plano) got the Rattlers on the board early, when she took a pass from Carolina Hernandez (Jr., El Paso) dribbled down the field, then found the back of the net for her fourth goal of the season.
That was where the score would stay for the until the 70th minute of the game. The Rattlers closed the contest with four goals in a 10-minute period to put the game out of reach. Lea Kirch (Fr., Carrolton), Michelle Romero (Sr., El Paso), Emilie Snelson (So., Fairview) and Ana Primera (Sr., San Antonio) each had goals in the win.
With the win, St. Mary’s improved to 4-12-1 overall and 4-6-0 in Heartland Conference play, while TAMIU fell to 0-17-1 and 0-10-0. The Rattlers will return to action on Sunday, when they face cross-town rivel Incarnate Word at 7 p.m. at UIW.
St. Mary’s (Texas) (4-12-1, 4-6 HC) vs. Texas A&M-Inter. (0-17-1, 0-10 HC)
Date: Oct 30, 2009 Attendance: 83
Weather: Pleasant and sunny.
Goals by period 1 2 Tot
St. Mary’s (Texas).. 1 4 – 5
Texas A&M-Inter….. 0 1 – 1
1. 13:56 STMU Melinda Gentry (Carolina Hernandez) – long run close range shot
2. 69:34 STMU Leia Kirch (unassisted) – free kick 25 yards out
3. 71:06 STMU Michelle Romero Penalty kick
4. 73:11 STMU Emilie Snelson (unassisted) – deflection by goalkeep shot 20 yards out
5. 78:27 TAMIU Rachel Carranza Penalty kick
6. 78:30 STMU Ana Primera (Leia Kirch) – right to left 15 yards out
Shots: St. Mary’s (Texas) 17, Texas A&M-Inter. 8
Saves: St. Mary’s (Texas) 4 (Mari Edwards 4), Texas A&M-Inter. 8 (Mary
Jo Hall 8)