Center for International Programs

The Center for International Programs at St. Mary’s University is here to help our international students transition to life as college students in the United States. Prior to your arrival on campus, we can provide advice on such matters as how to apply for a visa and entry into the U.S. After you arrive, we will give you orientation information that explains your rights and responsibilities as an international student and advice on adjusting to American culture.

Throughout your studies at St. Mary’s University, we are here to answer your questions about immigration issues, host cultural and social events, and refer you to the appropriate campus and government offices when your need is outside our support. Beyond our technical services, we want to get to know you and ensure that your experience at St. Mary’s is a positive one.

Office of International Student and Scholar Services

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is part of the Center for International Programs at St. Mary’s University. ISSS provides international students and scholars with advice, information and referrals on matters such as immigration, employment and overseas travel. Additionally, ISSS assists students with issues related to social and personal adjustments to a new culture, as well as practical matters related to living in San Antonio, Texas.

Pre-Arrival Information

The International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) team has provided information for you to prepare for your arrival at St. Mary’s.

Intensive English Program

If English is your second language, the Intensive English Program at St. Mary’s offers part-time and full-time course options to help you improve your English speaking, writing and listening skills.

The Intensive English Program (IEP) is designed to provide international participants and other interested participants the English language training necessary to learn English in order to prepare them to communicate in an academic and/or professional setting. Additionally, for family members of our international students, the IEP provides an opportunity to develop English language skills during their time in San Antonio.

On-campus Employment Opportunities

There are two types of on-campus employment: Non-College Work Study and Student Employment.

  • Non-College Work Study: Awarded through the Office of Financial Assistance.
  • Student Employment: Granted by individual offices and departments on campus. To find Student Employment positions, inquire at offices where you would like to work.

You don’t need authorization from International Student and Scholar Services or the Department of Homeland Security to work on campus, but you must be careful not to work more than 20 hours a week while school is in session. Employment may begin upon arrival at St. Mary’s University. If you do not currently have a Social Security number, please fill out the Social Security form.

  • Questions?

    International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
    Center for International Programs
    Center for Life Directions, Room 132


Back to top