Related Policies and Additional References:
Please read the Distracted Driving Policy, sign and return to your supervisor.
In order to increase employee safety and eliminate unnecessary risks behind the wheel, St. Mary’s University has enacted a Distracted Driving Policy, effective 10/28/2013.
- Employees operating a university or personal vehicle, are prohibited from using any electronic devices whether personal or university issued (cell phone, GPS, iPad, etc.) – whether the vehicle is in motion or stopped at a traffic light. This includes, but is not limited to, answering or making phone calls, engaging in phone conversations, reading or responding to emails, instant messages, and text messages, surfing the internet, and programming GPS device.
- If company employees need to use their phones, they must pull over safely to the side of the road or another safe location.
- Additionally, company employees are required to:
- Turn cell phones off or put them on silent or vibrate before starting the car.
- Consider modifying voice mail greetings to indicate that you are unavailable to answer calls or return messages while driving.
- Inform clients, associates and business partners of this policy as an explanation of why calls may not be returned immediately.
I acknowledge that I have received a written copy of the Distracted Driving Policy, that I fully understand the terms of this policy, that I agree to abide by these terms, and that I am willing to accept the consequences of failing to follow the policy.
Employee Signature Date
Employee Name (printed)