Athletics: Vehicle Accidents
Chief of Staff for the President
Annually or as required
The following procedures are to be followed in the event an accident occurs while traveling for any practice or competition:
- Stop at once to investigate. Help anyone who is injured.
- Identify yourself. Give your name, address, and license number to the other party.
- Get the names and addresses of all witnesses to the accident.
- Contact the local police officials and give them details of the accident. Obtain any reports that are completed.
- Protect the scene of the accident by directing traffic, placing flags or reflectors, etc.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than the police or the St. Mary’s University Insurance Company representative.
- Phone your supervisor at once if personal injury or serious property damage is involved.
- Contact the university’s insurance company if the accident involves another occupied vehicle (even if no injuries claimed), a pedestrian, or any personal injury or extensive property damage.
- Complete a written report and turn it into your supervisor as soon as possible.