Athletics: Team Trips
Chief of Staff for the President
Annually or as required
Related policies and additional references:
Athletics Department Manual
Team trips should be planned well in advance with the upmost care and attention to detail. The safety and welfare of our student-athletes are the first priority. Coaches are requested to follow these policies:
- Only eligible student-athletes and associated staff are permitted to travel with the team. Exceptions to this rule must be approved by the Athletics Director.
- Travel by teams to selected away contests shall be by legitimate public carriers, university owned transportation, or properly licensed vehicles. Traveling in personal vehicles or asking a student-athlete to use his or her vehicle for team travel is prohibited.
- No team shall travel out of town unless a member of the university staff accompanies them on the trip.
- Injuries at away contests should be treated in accordance with established policies.
- Coaches will travel with the team to contests and return to campus with the team. Student-athletes must leave with and return with the team unless prior arrangements have been approved by the Athletics Director. Approval must be granted on the appropriate transportation form.
- Dress code and behavior must reflect positively on the institution.
- Destination, arrival and departure times, hotel information, travel rosters, competition times, and all other trip information shall be on file with the Business Manager prior to the trip.
- Coaches are strongly encouraged to distribute a travel itinerary to all team members.
- The Business Manager and Director of Athletics Facilities and Operations may assist the head coach in making final arrangements (i.e., vehicle rental, hotel accommodations, meal money, petty cash, etc.).
- Coaches must file the team travel form with the Compliance Officer, Business Manager, and Bus Driver prior to departure.
- Overnight trips will usually require allocations of money in advance. All arrangement for lodging accommodations and meal money for overnight stays should be made at least two weeks prior to the trip. All travel forms and money requests shall be completed in advance with the Business Manager. Coaches are encouraged to use their university issued credit card as much as possible for travel expenses. At the end of each trip, any unspent money and receipts shall be submitted to the Business Manager.