Related Policies and Additional References:
Athletics Department Manual
Functions of the Student-athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC):
- Promote communication between athletics administration and student-athletes.
- Disseminate information.
- Provide feedback and insight into athletics department issues.
- Generate a student-athlete voice within the campus athletics department formulation of policies.
- Build a sense of community within the athletics program involving all athletics teams.
- Solicit student-athlete responses to proposed conference and NCAA legislation.
- Organize community service efforts.
- Create a vehicle for student-athlete representation on campus-wide committees (e.g., student government).
- Promote a positive student-athlete image on campus.
Members of SAAC have the opportunity to address issues affecting student-athletes at St. Mary’s; furthermore, members have the opportunity to offer input on issues which may be national in scope.
The campus committee is meant to serve as a local student-athlete voice in addressing issues of student-athlete welfare at their respective institutions. Campus committees can facilitate better communication among student-athletes from various athletics teams to address issues common to all.
SAAC may also serve as a conduit of communication among student-athletes, coaches and athletics administrators on issues to improve the student-athlete experience and promote growth and education through sports participation. Concerns can be voiced and solutions offered regarding any issue that may be relevant to NCAA student-athletes.
Through the grass-roots efforts of SAAC, student-athletes have the opportunity to change the face of intercollegiate athletics.