Related Policies and Additional References:
St. Mary’s University restricts the use by for-profit of its land or buildings for non-news media requests to film, photograph or record audio. These requests include filming, photography and audio recording for commercial or promotional purposes by an external organization, whose primary purpose is not news generation. Requests for news purposes are governed by the Working with News Media policy.
No campus images may be used in a commercial film, photograph or audio product without prior authorization by the Office of University Communications. Examples of commercial filming, photography and audio recording include, but are not limited to:
- Theatrical, broadcast, online streaming, social media or print release
- Industrial use (e.g., trade show, intra-company or intra-industry use)
- Photographs for calendars, works of art or other commercial products
- Aerial or unmanned aircraft systems (drone) photography
- Documentary media
- Podcasts by organizations whose primary purpose is not news generation
- Public service announcements
All information for such requests must be furnished in writing to the Office of University Communications for approval by the Office of the President at least two weeks prior to the beginning of any activities. Express permission is required, and requests will be considered only on a very limited, case-by-case basis. If the request does not support the University’s Catholic and Marianist mission or conflicts with campus operations, the request will be denied.