The purpose of this document is to describe the procedures and responsibilities for maintaining the Underground Storage Tanks.
The University has two underground storage tanks that are located in the Facilities Compound. One is used for diesel fuel and the other is for unleaded gasoline. Each tank has a maximum capacity of 1000 gallons. Fuel is used for licensed motor vehicles (pickup trucks) assigned to the Facilities Services. Fuel is also used for the Marianist vehicle fleet as well as the Van Pool fleet. If authorized, fuel is used for other specific university vehicles where internal billing has been arranged through the Facilities Business Coordinator. Fuel is also used for maintenance vehicles such as golf carts, gators, lawn mowers, tractors, backhoes, forklifts, and generators. The University purchases environmental insurance according to state and federal regulations.
This document applies to the Facilities Grounds/Automotive Division.
Fuel is ordered and controlled by the Grounds Superintendent. Only Facilities personnel are allowed to dispense fuels and all transactions must be logged indicating the type and quantity of fuel and the vehicle to which it is dispensed. The Grounds Department Gasoline Distribution Log is maintained by the Facilities Business Coordinator. A reconciliation of fuel purchase and use is performed monthly and recorded in the Monthly Reconciliation and Fuel Purchase Log.
All Grounds/Automotive Division personnel responsible for fueling of University vehicles shall be certified as a UST Class C Operator and trained on this SOP annually.
Records of fuel dispensing and usage will be maintained by the Grounds Division. Records of training will be maintained by the Facilities Services Office. All records will be maintained per Facilities Record Retention Policy.