Related Policies and Additional References:
The food and drink policy of the Cotrell Commons is intended to preserve the furniture and technology present in the Commons. Community members and guests are asked to be good stewards of this facility and, following the principles of outdoor ethics, “Leave No Trace.”
Eat meals before visiting the Commons, but if you do bring a snack or drink, remember:
- No food or drinks are allowed at University-owned computer workstations.
- All drinks must be in covered, spill-proof containers or capped bottles.
- Acceptable food items include pastries, sandwiches, chips, yogurt and other snacks sold at Starbucks.
- Other food items (chicken, fries, burgers, pizza, full meals, off-campus vendor items, etc.) must be eaten outside.
- Food deliveries may only be received outside, and may only be eaten on the patio or library porch.
- Dispose of waste properly. Place recyclables in the recycling bins and garbage in the trash cans.
- Report food and drink spills to the Commons staff as soon as possible.
- Leave Commons resources, furnishings and equipment as you found them.
- Be considerate of other guests in the Commons, as well as future users of the Commons.
The 2nd and 3rd floors of the library have a NO FOOD policy, but do allow drinks in covered, spill-proof containers or capped bottles.
By observing the Cotrell Commons food and drink guidelines, you help to promote recycling of appropriate food and drink packaging; preserve the Commons and Blume Library facility from pests and harmful molds; ensure the health and safety of all library/Commons users and a long life for the technology, furnishings and collections; respect the hard-working custodial staff by taking responsibility for personal behavior; and save library and technology funds to purchase materials and equipment in support of the curriculum, rather than to replace items damaged by food and drink.