Athletics: Initial Eligibility Certification
Chief of Staff for the President
Annually or as required
- The certification of eligibility for each prospective student-athlete may begin as early as the early National Letter of Intent signing period.
- When processing a National Letter of Intent request, the Compliance Officer compiles all required documentation and forwards the packet(s) to the Admissions Office for a determination of “admissibility.”
- After a positive determination of admissibility, the Admissions Office will forward the packet to the Office of Financial Assistance for signature then the packets are sent out by the Compliance Officer.
- After signing, these prospective student-athletes are monitored by the Compliance Officer through the use of a prospective student-athlete spreadsheet.
- The prospective student-athlete spreadsheet tracks the PSA’s progress on the NCAA Eligibility Center and receipt of transcripts/test scores.
- Once a PSA has applied for admission to the university, their information (high school transcripts, test scores, class rank, FAFSA, etc.) are continually updated according to university procedures for all prospective students.
- Projected rosters for the upcoming academic year are to be submitted by each Head Coach to the Compliance Officer by June 1. These rosters should include the names and identification number for each returning student-athlete and prospective student-athlete that is expected to participate in the upcoming academic year. The Compliance Officer will distribute this information to the Office of Financial Assistance, Admissions Office, and Registrar’s Office.
- Beginning in June, continuing student-athletes will be rolled over into the next academic year on CAi. Incoming student-athletes will be added at the earliest opportunity.
- Admission status (Admissions), financial aid eligibility (Financial Assistance), and NCAA Eligibility Center status (Compliance Officer) are continually monitored throughout the summer by the respective offices.
- A final eligibility form is generated from CAi and circulated to the Athletics Director, Head Coach, and Faculty Athletics Representative.
- The eligibility form for each sport shall be completed prior to the team’s first date of competition. Copies are sent to the Heartland Conference office prior to competition.