The purpose of this document is to describe the procedure for managing the accumulation, storage, packaging, shipping, tracking, and record keeping of lamps, ballasts, batteries, and capacitors that qualify for the Recycle Program.
This document applies to materials received from all facilities and buildings at St. Mary’s University that are maintained by the Facilities Department. Materials currently in the recycle program: Lamps (T12/T8/HID/CFL’s, and U-tubes), Ballasts (non-PCB), Batteries (Alkaline, Nickel, Silver, and Mercury), and Capacitors (non-PCB).
- St.Mary’s University EMS Policy
- Facilities Departmental Training Program – Recycle Program
Procedure and Responsibilities
The recycle program will use appropriate means of collection and storage of recyclable material to reduce the risk of breakage or leakage during handling and shipping. Bulk storage and shipping of materials used in high quantity, such as lamps, will be used whenever practical. There are four primary types of materials in the recycle program: Lamps, Ballasts, Batteries, and Capacitors. The process for accumulation, storage, packaging, shipping, tracking, and record keeping is the same for all four materials. The difference is in the types of containers and shipping requirements of the material. The process steps are as follows:
- Maintenance and Housekeeping personnel (technicians) shall collect lamps, ballasts, batteries, and capacitors and deliver them to the Maintenance Warehouse.
- Technicians shall place unbroken lamps, ballasts, batteries, or capacitors in their proper storage container.
- Technician shall document the material type, quantity, date, and other applicable information on the tracking log (refer to Appendix-A) and initial the entry.
- Maintenance Team Leads shall periodically verify the storage containers to confirm proper material is stored in the applicable container and initial the action on the tracking log.
- When container is ready for shipment the Maintenance Supervisor shall:
- Verify and approve the tracking log is completed.
- Seal the containers per shipping guidelines.
- Apply required shipping labels.
- Contact to order /coordinate container pickup.
- Verify delivery by acknowledging shipping manifest.
- Provide a copy (electronic or hardcopy) of shipping manifest and the tracking log to the Environmental Health and Safety office for filing.
- Order recycle containers to ensure seamless availability of storage.
- Set up and identify new storage /shipping containers in the maintenance warehouse as needed.
All personnel responsible for accumulation, storage, packaging, shipping, tracking, and/or record keeping must be trained on the procedures of the Recycle Program per Facilities Departmental Training Program.
Records of accumulation, shipping, and confirmation of receipt will be managed by Facilities Maintenance Supervisor and forwarded to the Environmental Health and Safety office for filing.
Available in the Administration and Finance Office:
Appendix A: Recycle Container Inventory Tracking Log