Tobacco Use On Campus
Related policies and additional references:
This policy goes into effect Jan. 1, 2017.
According to the U.S. Surgeon General’s Report, tobacco use and smoking causes disease and premature death in children and adults who smoke. Additionally, second-hand smoke exposure causes disease and death in children and adults who do not smoke.
Purpose: To protect the health and safety of St. Mary’s faculty, staff, students and visitors on campus, and create a healthier and cleaner campus environment.
Definitions for purposes of this policy:
- Smoking is defined as the use of smoke-producing tobacco products, such as cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, mini-cigars, and hookah.
- Tobacco use is defined as the use of any tobacco product including, but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, mini-cigars, hookah, spit tobacco, snus, and other smokeless products.
- E-cigarette use or vaping is defined by the use of electronic smoking devices or electronic nicotine delivery systems. FDA-approved cessation aids, such as nicotine patches and gum, are not included in this category.
The use of tobacco (including cigarettes, cigarillos, mini-cigars, cigars, pipes, hookahs, smokeless tobacco, all other tobacco products, as well as e-cigarettes and other electronic smoking devices) by students, faculty, staff, guests, visitors and contractors is prohibited on all properties owned or leased by campus, including:
- all interior spaces on campus and property leased by St. Mary’s, including remote sites;
- all outside property or grounds on the University campus, including areas such as walkways, breezeways, and patios, except for the six restricted smoking/tobacco use designated areas (see map for specific locations), (located in Pecan Grove, The Village, near Chaminade Tower, the School of Law Courtyard, the Center for Legal and Social Justice, and the Counselor Education and Family Life Center);
- all owned or leased parking lots and facilities, on or off campus;
- all outside property leased by St. Mary’s;
- all vehicles leased or owned by St. Mary’s, including rental vehicles paid for with University funds;
- all indoor and outdoor athletics facilities.
All St. Mary’s employees, students, visitors, guests and contractors are required to comply with this policy, which shall remain in effect at all times. Refusal to comply with this policy is cause for disciplinary action in accordance with employee (faculty and staff) and student conduct policies. Refusal to comply with the policy by visitors, guests and contractors is grounds for removal from campus.
- The use of tobacco products for educational research or artistic purposes must be approved in advance by the Provost. Such use must be preceded by reasonable advance notice to the public.
- The use of tobacco products for specific activities related to religious ceremonies.
- The use of tobacco products inside (only) Marianist-owned housing, which is not applicable to this policy.
- The use of tobacco products on perimeter sidewalks outside the campus fences.
- The use of tobacco products in the six restricted designated areas on campus in Pecan Grove, The Village at St. Mary’s, near Chaminade Tower, the School of Law Courtyard, the Center for Legal and Social Justice, and the Counselor Education and Family Life Center.
Designated Tobacco Use Areas:
- The designated tobacco-allowed areas on campus are marked with “Designated Tobacco (Smoking) Area” signage.
- Appropriate receptacles are available at each designated tobacco (smoking) area for the disposal of tobacco products. Persons not disposing of tobacco products appropriately will be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with employee (faculty and staff) and student conduct policies. Refusal to appropriately dispose of tobacco products in the designated area by visitors, guests and contractors is grounds for removal from campus.