St. Mary’s University has been named among the Best in the Western region by U.S. News & World Report for serving veterans. We take pride in helping our military service members, veterans, and spouses reach their educational goals. We understand your professional and academic needs may be different from the traditional college student.

We have been named to the U.S. Department of Education’s list of universities that have implemented the 8 Keys to Veterans’ Success. We are also recognized by the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs as a university that is committed to the Principles of Excellence for veterans and active duty military.

Let us help you get started.

For admission, contact the Office of Admission at 210-436-3126.

For financial assistance and your military or veterans’ benefits, contact Andrew Lyons, the VA certifying official at St. Mary’s University, at 210-436-3682 or at

Admission process for military and veterans

Step 1: apply for admission

Apply to the St. Mary’s University academic program of your choice.

Step 2: apply for benefits

Apply for your choice of Veterans benefits or call the Veterans’ Affairs Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551.

Please note: VA regulations state that active duty service members may not receive standard VA benefits for the same courses for which they receive Tuition Assistance (TA) from the military. Some Active Guard Reserve (AGR) members receiving Chapter 1606 or Chapter 1607 benefits are considered to be on active duty. The active duty prohibition would apply to these AGR members.

Note: Students who receive 100 percent VA benefits for tuition and fees, are not eligible for academic and need-based scholarships and grants awarded by St. Mary’s University.

Step 3: finalize documentation

Once you’re accepted and registered for classes at St. Mary’s, ensure all required documentation has been submitted to the VA Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office

  • Certificate of Eligibility Letter from the VA
  • DD214, member 4 copy
  • St. Mary’s VA Request for Certification. This form is required for each term and for each registration.
  • Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Form (VA form 22-1995 for Veteran or 22-5495 for Dependent). This is required if the student has previously used VA education benefits at another college or university.

Chapters 1606, 1607, and 30 Veterans may verify their monthly enrollment by either clicking on the WAVE link or by calling the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System: 1-877-823-2378

All students are encouraged to review their funding options and annually complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Back to top