Intensive English Program Admission Requirements
We are looking forward to welcoming you into the St. Mary’s University Intensive English Program (IEP). To be considered for acceptance, applicants must:
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Be a high school graduate
- Have a minimum TOEFLT iBT score of 19-29, or IELTS 2.5
- Be able to understand what teachers say, participate actively in class and talk about yourself
Requirements vary by exchange agreements. Please refer to your agreement for specific requirements for admission into IEP.
All students take a placement test during Orientation Week. Students are placed in the level correct for their current English language proficiency.
All international students and their dependents must obtain the appropriate immigration documents required to enter the U.S. prior to beginning the Intensive English Program.
In order for a new international participant to receive a U.S. visa to study in the IEP program, the applicant must:
- Be accepted into the program
- Provide the necessary financial documentation
- Complete the I-20/DS-2019 Request Packet
Applicants who meet all requirements will be issued either an I-20 (F visa) or a DS-2019 (J visa). This documentation will be used by an international participant to apply for F-1 or J-1 status visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.
Note: If an international participant wants to bring a spouse or dependents, additional financial support must be demonstrated for the issuance of the F2/J2 dependent I-20/DS-2019 form. Add $5,000 for your spouse and $3,000 for each dependent child for each 12-week term of study.
Contact the Office of International Student and Scholar Services for help with all visa-related questions and paperwork.
To apply to the IEP, applications must do the following:
- Keep track of your user name and your password. You will need them to upload important documents to our secure portal.
- Complete an online application.
- Once you have been accepted, you will need to request an I-20 or DS-2019 depending on your program. The I-20 or DS-2019 request form will be sent to you in the secure portal after you have received the acceptance letter from the IEP program (for new international participants only). This is done in the portal.
- Complete the IEP transfer form (transfer participants only).
- Medical insurance coverage is mandatory for all international students and the accompanying spouse and children of J-1 visa holders, under regulations of the Department of State. If you hold a J-1 visa, you must maintain health insurance with the required minimum coverage for all accompanying or subsequently arriving J-2 dependents. Failure to do so will result in the termination of your program.
- Provide evidence of current Meningococcal Meningitis Vaccine and current Tuberculosis (TB) screening.
- Upload your Financial Guarantee forms.
- Submit all paperwork before the application deadline.
Visit the International Student and Scholar Services pages for more helpful information.
Once the application form has been completed, you should receive an acceptance letter within 5 to 7 days. The acceptance letter includes instructions regarding submitting additional information in order to process your I-20 form.
To start the application process, we recommend you begin preparing:
- A copy of your passport to upload to your profile
- Any financial documentation you will be uploading to your profile
If you are planning on bringing any dependents (spouse and/or children), please prepare:
- Copies of their passports
- Marriage license/family card (spouse) and/or birth certificate (children)