St. Mary's University 1 Camino Santa MariaSan Antonio, TX 78228 +1-210-436-3011 St. Mary's University logo William Joseph Chaminade St. Mary's University, Texas

Intensive English Program Admission Requirements

Applicants must:

  • Be a minimum of 18 years of age.
  • Be a high school graduate or equivalent.
  • Participants must be at least high-beginner level of English. We do not have basic ESL courses. This means that you must be able to read, write and speak
  • English well enough to understand classroom commands, talk about your family, your home and yourself in basic terms.

All students will take a placement test on the first day of class and based on these results will be placed in the level appropriate to their current English language proficiency.

Application Checklist

The following items should be completed and submitted to the Intensive English Program:

  • Completed online application
  • Completed I-20/DS-2019 Request Packet (for new international participants only). The electronic I-20/DS-2019 packet will be sent to you once you are accepted into the program.
  • Completed IEP transfer form (transfer participants only)
  • Provide evidence of current health insurance coverage (health insurance must meet specific requirements or students will be automatically enrolled in St. Mary’s University health insurance)
  • Provide evidence of current Meningococcal Meningitis Vaccine
  • Provide evidence of current Tuberculosis (TB) screening
  • Submit all paperwork

You may also find helpful information on the International Student and Scholar Services pages.

Visa Requirements

All international students and their dependents must obtain the appropriate immigration documents required to enter the U.S. prior to beginning the Intensive English Program.

In order for a new international participant to receive a U.S. visa to study in the IEP program, the applicant must:

  • Be accepted into the program
  • Provide the necessary financial documentation
  • Complete the I-20/DS-2019 Request Packet

Applicants who meet all requirements will be issued either an I-20 (F visa) or a DS-2019 (J visa). This documentation will be used by an international participant to apply for F-1 or J-1 status visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Dependents of current F-2 and J-2 participants are eligible to study in the program. Participants with an F-2 visa may study part-time, and participants with a J-2 visa may study full-time.

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services will help with all visa-related questions and paperwork. If you have any questions, email

Note: If an international participant wants to bring a spouse or dependents, additional financial support must be demonstrated for the issuance of the F2/J2 dependent I-20/DS-2019 form. Add $1,167 for your spouse and $1,000 for each dependent child for each 12-week term of study.

Application Form

Below is the Intensive English Program application form. Once the application form has been completed, you should receive an acceptance letter within 5 – 7 days. The acceptance letter includes instructions regarding submitting additional information in order to process your I-20 form. We recommend you begin preparing a copy of your passport and any financial documentation you will be submitting. If you are planning on bringing any dependents (spouse and/or children), we will need copies of their passports, marriage license/family card (spouse) and/or birth certificate (children).

Note: If you are currently living overseas and/or would like your I-20 form sent to an overseas address, we highly recommend using our eShipGlobal service. For students in some countries (e.g. Saudi Arabia) this is the only way we recommend for delivery. For more information about the eShipGlobal service, please refer to your acceptance letter.

Application Form

Back to top