Associate Professor of Computer Engineering
Richter Math-Engineering Center, Room 217
- B.S., Fudan University (Shanghai, P.R. China), 1996
- M.S., Fudan University, 1999
- M.S., University of New Mexico, 2002
- Ph.D., University of New Mexico, 2003
Since joining the Department of Engineering in 2003, Wenbin Luo, Ph.D., has been actively probing the inner workings of computer security, digital image processing, and hashing algorithms.
Since 2006, Luo has been an Associate Editor of International Journal on Computers and Electrical Engineering. He is also an active paper reviewer for 29 leading research journals and many conferences, including IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Systems Journal, IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, ACM Journal of Experimental Algorithmics, and Communications of the ACM. Luo was the publication chair for 2008, 2009, and 2012 IEEE International Conference on System of Systems Engineering and was the local arrangements Co-Chair of 2007 IEEE International Conference on System of Systems Engineering.
He has published more than 40 peer-reviewed technical papers in leading research journals and professional conferences. In 2009, he received the best paper award at 24th International Conference on Computers and Their Applications. Among other achievements, he received the St. Mary’s Distinguished Faculty Award in 2008.
Luo was the Chair of IEEE Computer Society in San Antonio from June 2010 to May 2012. He has served in IEEE Computer Society Student Awards Committee (SAC) since March 2012.
Luo currently is an IEEE senior member and a member of Eta Kappa Nu honorary society of engineering and Kappa Mu Epsilon honorary society of mathematics. He is a Senior Level Linux Professional (LPIC-3), a Novell Certified Linux Administrator (Novell CLA) and an Ubuntu Certified Professional (UCP).
- Computer Security
- Computer Networking
- Data Mining
- Fault Tolerant Computing
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Circuit Analysis
- Programming for Engineers
- Computer Organization and Architecture
- J. R. Martinez and W. Luo, Foxes and Chickens: An Android Game, Proceedings of 25th International Conference on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering (CAINE–2012), New Orleans, Louisiana, November 14–16, 2012, pp. 115-120
- W. Luo. Network Security, Threats, Authentication, Authorization, and Securing Devices. Process Software and Digital Networks, Volume III, editor Dr. Halit Eren, CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group), ISBN: 978-1-4398-1776-6, pp. 506-516, 2011
- S. Echegaray, G. Zamora, H. Yu, W. Luo, P. Soliz, R. Kardon. Automated Analysis of Optic Nerve Images for Detection and Staging of Papilledema. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science (IOVS), 52: 7470-7478, September 2011.
- Echegaray, S., Zamora, G., Yu, H., Luo, W., Soliz P., Kardon R., Automated Staging of Papilledema in the Frisen Scale using Visual Features, 2011 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Annual Meeting.
- P. Soliz, W. Bauman, S. Echegaray, G. Zamora, W. Luo, R. Kardon, Automated Staging of Papilledema Using Fundus Images Based on the Frisen Scale, Fourth Military Vision Symposium on Ocular and Brain Injury: Current Concepts in Detection, Treatment, and Restoration, September 26-30, 2010, in Boston, MA.
- G. Zamora, J. Morales, S. Echegaray, W. Luo, P. Soliz, A Content-Based Image Retrieval Approach for Image Quality and Alignment Evaluation, ARVO’s 2010 Annual Meeting, The Future of Eye and Vision Research, May 2-6, 2010, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- S. Echegaray, G. Zamora, W. Luo, R. Kardon, J. Morales, P. Soliz, Automated Classification of Papilledema Using Frisen Grading and OCT Measurements, ARVO’s 2010 Annual Meeting, The Future of Eye and Vision Research, May 2-6, 2010, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- S. Echegaray, P. Soliz, and W. Luo, “Automatic Initialization of Level Set Segmentation for Application to Optic Disc Margin Identification,” Proceedings of the 22nd IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems (IEEE CBMS 2009), Albuquerque, New Mexico, August 3rd – 4th, 2009.
- D. Dang and W. Luo. Color Image Noise Removal Algorithm Utilizing Hybrid Vector Filtering. International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 62: 63-67, 2008.
- D. Dang and W. Luo. Impulse Noise Removal Utilizing Second-Order Difference Analysis. Signal Processing, 87: 2017-2025, 2007.
- W. Luo. A comment on `Transient Analysis of Energy Equation of Dynamical Systems. IEEE Transactions on Education. 48:562-563, 2005.
- W. Luo. A comment on `Estimating the Standard Deviation from Extreme Gaussian Values’. IEEE Signal Processing Letters. 12:109-111, 2005.
- W. Luo and G.L. Heileman. Improved exponential hashing. IEICE Electronics Express. 1:150-155, 2004.