St. Mary’s University Department of Biological Sciences has partnered with the University of Texas Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) Dental School to offer a 3+4 program known as the Dental Early Acceptance Program (DEAP). The DEAP program allows St. Mary’s students pursuing dentistry to gain early acceptance into the UTHSCSA Dental School and spend only three years at St. Mary’s in pursuit of a bachelor’s degree.
Students accepted into the DEAP program will follow a three-year degree plan at St. Mary’s which fulfills the prerequisite coursework for the UTHSCSA Dental School as well as degree requirements for a B.A. in Combined Sciences from St. Mary’s. After completing the three year degree plan, the student will matriculate into the UTHSCSA Dental School. The B.A. in Combined Sciences degree will be awarded by St. Mary’s after the student successfully completes the first year of coursework at the Dental School. The student will earn a Doctor of Dental Science (DDS) degree from the UTHSCSA Dental School after completing the required coursework at the dental school.
Download the registration form here.
The DEAP is intended for first-time freshmen at St. Mary’s who are serious about pursuing dentistry. To be eligible for the DEAP program, the student must:
- Be a first-time freshman at St. Mary’s who has earned at least 12 semester credit hours but not more than 30 semester credit hours at St. Mary’s; and
- Earn at least a 3.4 GPA at St. Mary’s.
Applications and supporting documents for the DEAP are submitted through the Pre-Health Professions office at St. Mary’s. To apply for the program, the student must complete and submit the following by March 1 of the freshman year:
- The DEAP application;
- Official college/university transcripts;
- Personal statement;
- Letter of recommendation for the DEAP from the Pre-Health Professions Advisor or the Pre-Dental faculty advisor at St. Mary’s.
Although volunteer and shadow hours are not REQUIRED for acceptance into the DEAP program, it is strongly RECOMMENDED that the student engage in these experiences to strengthen his/her application and increase his/her understanding of the field of dentistry.
- Complete the remaining prerequisite courses for dental school;
- Maintain an overall GPA and science GPA of at least 3.4;
- Take the DAT exam during the junior year and achieve a minimum score of 18; and
- Satisfy all requirements of the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service (TMDSAS) application process including a letter of recommendation from the Health Professions Advisory Committee at St. Mary’s.