Public communication of research findings and sharing of ideas with others is an important aspect of participating in academic research. The Undergraduate Research Travel Award enables students to extend their research experience by contributing to important discussions of current research at professional conferences. These travel awards support participation in conferences and other academic venues for research by providing funding (maximum $300 per student) toward travel expenses and registration fees.
A limited number of travel awards are available for the upcoming academic year to support participation in conferences and other academic venues by providing funding (maximum $300 per student) toward travel expenses and registration fees.
All students who have a paper, poster, or scholarly creative work accepted for professional presentation are encouraged to apply for an award. Applications will be accepted and reviewed as they are received. Applications must be made PRIOR to travel; travel authorization documents must be filed in advance. Awards will be made until the funds are expired.
The travel award is for partial support (maximum $300 per student) to present research at a professional conference. The amount of the award is based on expenses incurred. Each award amount will be determined based on the expense summary submitted with the application.
Currently enrolled St. Mary’s University undergraduates who have a paper, poster, or creative scholarly work accepted for professional presentation may apply. Please note that this travel must be completed before you graduate. *Applications for funding must be made at least two weeks in advance of your proposed departure date.
Selection criteria for these awards include: overall quality of the application and the importance of participation in the conference/venue to the applicant’s long-term goals as articulated in the applicant’s statement.
Awardees are expected to submit a brief summative statement about their conference experience within two weeks of returning from their presentation and to present their research at the annual Undergraduate Research Symposium and Creative Activities Exhibition.
Application form is downloadable below; materials include:
- Completed Application
- Cover sheet with personal data, graduation date, etc.
- An unofficial copy of your most recent transcript(s)
- A letter of recommendation from the faculty mentor for your research or scholarly work
- An overview of the importance of your project to your field of study, and the relevance of your research experience and the opportunity to present it at a national conference to your overall educational and professional goals. (500 words or less)
- signed, stamped, approved pre-travel authorization form
- The abstract describing your research as it was submitted to the conference/organization hosting the conference
- Summary of expenses anticipated associated with attending the conference, other sources of support for this travel, if any
- A copy of the acceptance notification you received for your presentation
- Applicants are required to present at the Undergraduate Research Symposium in April
- complete the survey