Professor of Law
Co-director of LL.M. Program
LL.M, 2000; J.S.D, 2005; Washington University in St. Louis School of Law
M.S., 2002; University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
LL.M. in European Law, 1999; Lund University Faculty of Law, Sweden
LL.M., 1993; Dalian University of Technology, China
LL.B., 1990; Shenyang Normal University, China
Before St. Mary’s
Before joining the faculty at St. Mary’s University School of Law, Professor Liu taught as an adjunct professor at the University of Houston Law Center. He also taught at Dongbei University of Finance and Economics School of Law, China.
- Law and Economics
- Tort Law
- European Union Law
- Chinese Law
- Introduction to Chinese Law (forthcoming 2014, Carolina Academic Press)
- Chinese Law on SARS (New York: Hein, 2004)
- Escaping Liability via Forum Non Conveniens, 17 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Law and Social Change, (___forthcoming, 2013)
- Leaving the FDA Behind: Pharmaceutical Outsourcing and Drug Safety, 48 Texas International Law Journal, 1 (2012)
- Is “USDA ORGANIC” a Seal of Deceit? The Pitfalls of USDA Certified Organics Produced in the United States, China and Beyond, 47 Stanford Journal of International Law 333 (2011).
- The Obstacles of Outsourcing Imported Food Safety To China, 43 Cornell Journal of International Law 249, (Lead Article, 2010).
- Profits Above The Law: China’s Melamine Tainted Milk Scandal, 79 Mississippi Law Journal 371, (2009).
- The Chinese Takings Law From A Comparative Perspective, 26 Washington University Journal of Law & Policy 301, (2008).
- Informal Rules, Transaction Costs And The Failure Of Chinese Takings Law 29 Hastings International & Comparative Law Review 1 (Lead Article, 2005). (Reprinted in Jose Maria Serna de la Garza,Derecho Comparado Asia-Mexico. Culturas y Sistemas Juridicos Comparados, IIJ-UNAM, 2007)
- Regulating SARS In China: Law As An Antidote? 4 Washington University Global Studies Law Review 81(2005). (Reprinted in Stoltzfus Jost, Readings in Comparative Health Law and Bioethics,Carolina Academic Press, 2007)