Conference on Justice and Social Concerns
Feb. 22-26, 2021
The 2021 Conference on Justice and Social Concerns, sponsored by the St. Mary’s University Center for Catholic Studies, is inspired by Fratelli Tutti: Encyclical Letter on Fraternity and Social Friendship by Pope Francis. Pope Francis’ third encyclical is centered on the major themes of service, charity, economic justice and political love, and is framed by his close friendship and experiences with the Grand Imam Ahmad al-Tayyeb of Al-Azhar, an Islamic university and mosque in Egypt.
Each day of the Conference will feature a pre-recorded or live panel centering on the themes presented in Fratelli Tutti and linking them to the Marianist mission and charism. Panels will premiere on the Conference webpage each morning and are pre-recorded unless otherwise indicated.
Lin Great Speakers Series Lecture
A Conversation on Race, Equality and Equity
Wednesday, Feb. 24
7 to 8:30 p.m. via Zoom
The livestreamed lecture will provide insight into the concepts of race, equality and equity. Panelists will discuss systemic barriers impacting underrepresented groups and strategies on how to overcome these challenges and how Catholic universities can reflect anti-racist institutions. Panelists include Jonathan Butler, Esq., Equity Manager, the City of San Antonio; Christopher Whitt, Ph.D., Vice Provost for Institutional Diversity and Inclusion, Creighton University; Tiffany Galvin Green, Ph.D., Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, John Caroll University.
Sorry, there are no events to display.
News of Note
- St. Mary’s hosts symposium on “A Church in Crisis Moves to the Future”
- Nobel Peace Prize vice chair to discuss who deserves the world’s most prestigious prize
- University receives $1M gift for Peer Ministry
- Theologian to discuss biblical images of the Holy Spirit
- History’s role in faith and law will enrich Red Mass
- Biologist to discuss coexistence of faith and science
- St. Mary’s advances Marianist mission through interdisciplinary approach
- Eminent physician and alum to address Fall Graduates