The Department of Veterans Affairs administers a variety of education benefits for which you may be eligible including the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program.
Post-9/11 GI Bill
If you were on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, you may be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
The Post 9/11 GI Bill (effective August 1, 2009) makes the following educational benefits available:
- Tuition and fees paid directly to the school are capped at $19,198.31 per academic year.
- A monthly housing allowance based on the rate of an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school.
- A stipend for books and supplies of up to $1,000 a year.
To further assist Post-9/11 veterans, institutions whose tuition and fees exceed the state’s highest public school tuition and fees may participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
St. Mary’s Yellow Ribbon Program
To help Post-9/11 veterans attending a private school, a program exists which may help cover the difference and this program is called the Yellow Ribbon Program. St. Mary’s has chosen to become a Yellow Ribbon School in gratitude of your dedicated service for our country.
Through participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program, St. Mary’s assures eligible veterans who enroll, that applicable undergraduate, graduate, or law tuition and fees that exceed the cap, a portion of the difference will be covered. The University will contribute a set amount and the Veterans Administration will match the same amount. Yellow Ribbon contributions will not be made towards Certificate Programs at St. Mary’s University.
Veterans who are eligible for the Pell Grant can receive these funds in addition to the amount received through the Yellow Ribbon Program.
Your To-Do List
- Apply for admission to St. Mary’s.
- Apply for VA Education Benefits. Go to www.gibill.va.gov for more information on how to apply.
- Apply for additional aid. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid.) Based on your financial circumstances, you may be eligible for the Pell Grant. Be sure to list St. Mary’s code 003623 on the FAFSA.
St. Mary’s University’s staff members are available to you to help you. To speak with St. Mary’s VA Benefits coordinator, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance at 210-436-3141.